Gas bill addressed to the occupier

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rob_Meister, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I'm sure many of you have had similar things...

I get home from work and have a letter addressed to the occupier, I roll my eyes wondering what rubbish this is going to be.

Only to discover this is worse than the usual junk mail received, this one is from EON and claiming I owe them a £136. The bill is based on estimated usage and covers the few weeks I lived in my new house before changing to my current provider.

I was never aware EON were providing gas to my house and if they were I'm not sure where the electric was coming from, as the bill for that on the same letter is £0.00.

Should I pay this money, despite the fact the bill is based on estimated usage, is for way back in November - December 2013 and they don't even know my name?

I'm not one to avoid paying for what I've used, but it feels a little unjust and being estimated, I don't quite understand how they can be asking for any money?

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Did you take your meter readings the day you owned the house? If so that is the start point and the change to new provider will be the next reading. Whilst I understand you didn't know who was providing gas and electricity did you have any idea during the house purchase? I have no doubt these things are muddled at all house purchases but I think usually the seller and or buyer takes readings at some point to ensure billing is fair and accurate? Whatever happened or didn't happen I would imagine each service provider can send to the occupier and expect payment until somebody volunteers to be the owner.

3. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,284
    Agree with outoftheknow.
    Even though you might not have been aware it was EON, if you were actually using gas & electricity during that period before you changed provider, you had to know that you would owe someone money for using that gas & electricity, right?

4. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Completely agree and I have no intention of not paying for gas that I've used, still don't understand why I'm not being charged for any electricity in that period though.

I don't think I did check gas readings when we moved in, but expect the previous owner did, the same as we did at our old place the day we moved. I have however located the reading for the day we changed provider and that was lower than that of this estimated bill.

So I think that's my starting point, because EON are trying to charge me for gas I have already paid someone else for. The unknown is therefore how much gas may have been used by the PO.

I think I will just get on the phone to them, let them know I'm the home owner and ask these questions. Perhaps they can confirm they had a reading from the day of exchange, they are just missing the reading from us the day we changed provider.

At least then I will be happy I'm paying for what I have used and not something they have estimated.

5. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Electricity will have a distributor and if you contact them they will be able to tell you who supplies your house. As I understand it you should receive an estimated bill to the occupier if the last occupant told them a reading from them as well. I don't think EON are trying to charge twice for anything. An estimated bill shows which reading is estimated - maybe both are. It should have a last reading or estimating date as well and a period of billing. Service charges aren't estimated - they are per day for the period between readings or estimates. If the end reading is estimated and is after you moved in then they have not been given a reading by the previous owner most likely. You just need to give them the reading from the day you moved in and they will adjust the bill to run from that day. The starting reading or estimate date will tell you where their starting point is with either you or the previous owner. They can only guess if nobody gives them a reading for the date an owner changes. The gas the previous owner used will then be clear to them and they can chase him for it.

6. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,284
    When you changed provider, did your new provider do a reading on the day you switched? Might help with working out if EON are trying it on.

7. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Read first post again - the bill is from Late 2013 which is when you moved in and shortly after changed provider? It seems all the advice so far applied over a year ago..... Same principles though - you need to provide suppliers with the readings on the day you moved in so they have a starting point. Your new supplier back then will have a reading for the day they took over supply so just talk to EON to give them the reading the day you owned the house. That shod sort it I reckon.

8. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    Pretty sure they can't legally go back more than 12 months if this is the first contact.

9. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    I had Powergen try it on a few years back saying I owed £100 from a switch over period to another supplier some 4 years earlier! in the end they just dropped it so not sure what the legal length of time is as I did question it with them?

10. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    I recently had a dispute and they could only go back 12 months. I will find the link when I have more time.