Gas and leccy bills

John

Reaction score
Having recieved a (massive in my eyes ) bill from powergen and this story here on the beeb . I have been looking into my Gas and Leccy bills .
It turns out after all that my bills are right :mad: . So I have an extra £500 waiting to be paid :(
I just wondered what the rest of you guys use , what you annual kWh are , Leccy and Gas
If i'm going to get a fair comparison , thought I had better ask people with similar equipment levels :devil:

I use about 9000 kWh of leccy and if my sums are right 20000 of gas annually :suicide: . My gas only fires a regularly serviced combi so comparisons to that would be especially welcome :lease:

Cheers
John

Wasn't there something on Watchdog about incorrect bills being issued by Powergen recently? Might be worth checking into first off.

Chumpy said:
Wasn't there something on Watchdog about incorrect bills being issued by Powergen recently? Might be worth checking into first off.

I have , mine are right :thumbsdow

John

I'll have a look tonight John. I'm with Scottish Power, but I'm even thinking of leaving them.

We moved to them about 4 years ago, and in the first year I was paying £45 a months for both by direct debit, and at the end of the year was in credit for £60. Over the last 3 years I have adjusted my payments each time they hike the price. Now paying £58 a month, and currently owe them £120. :mad:

I think I was duped by the 'we're really cheap' (at the moment) door salesman.

If anybody can suggest a supplier than can do better than:

Electric - 12.88 daily service charge and 6.378p per Kwh
Gas - 11.63 Daily service charge and 1.865p per Kwh

you can get a partial subsidy for extra insulation for your house. You can also get 9w lightbulbs that are expensive to buy, but produce as many lumens as a 60w bulb, so save over the long haul.

at the end of the day you only pay for what you use and can save a fortune buying yourself an aga oven.

mrtbag said:
I'll have a look tonight John. I'm with Scottish Power, but I'm even thinking of leaving them.

We moved to them about 4 years ago, and in the first year I was paying £45 a months for both by direct debit, and at the end of the year was in credit for £60. Over the last 3 years I have adjusted my payments each time they hike the price. Now paying £58 a month, and currently owe them £120. :mad:

I think I was duped by the 'we're really cheap' (at the moment) door salesman.

If anybody can suggest a supplier than can do better than:

Electric - 12.88 daily service charge and 6.378p per Kwh
Gas - 11.63 Daily service charge and 1.865p per Kwh
Been with SP about the same lengh of time and upto a few months ago my combined bill was also £58 per month, but as I take my own online readings had a shock when they told me the next 3 months bills would be £79

I wouldn't consider myself a heavy user, alright the hi-fi and HC are on a fair bit, and one computer at a time is normally on, and i'm in most of the time so the combi central heating gets a bashing through the winter. But my heating has hardly been on for the last 5 months.

So looking at my future bills it'll probably end up at around the £70 per month mark, which for a smallish house seems crazy.

Games Guru said:
you can get a partial subsidy for extra insulation for your house. You can also get 9w lightbulbs that are expensive to buy, but produce as many lumens as a 60w bulb, so save over the long haul.

I've been looking into Insulation , I can get the Cavities done for about £200 .
I want to put some more in the loft , but it will be a messy job .Its full of 20 year old loose fill stuff , I'd like to replace it and board over the top.
Lightbulbs are something I'm thinking of changing . I currently have about 17 GU10 halogen spots , all on dimmers and not in use all the time . But I've been looking at LED spots for a while , hoping for prices to come down , and performance to improve . But that does not look like its going to happen any time soon :(

Games Guru said:
at the end of the day you only pay for what you use and can save a fortune buying yourself an aga oven.

An aga wouldn't fit in my kitchen , not to mention would look out of place ;)

John

Idoexist said:
So looking at my future bills it'll probably end up at around the £70 per month mark, which for a smallish house seems crazy.

I'm looking at a rise up to about £70 a month as well . Paying £150 to bring it down at the moment , I guess they keep you owing them to put you off switching :thumbsdow

John

gazbarber said:
Not sure if your aware of this site http://www.uswitch.com/ its sort of a utilities comparision site.
I've been onto it this afternoon , might be able to save about £120 - 130 annually .Will look a bit closer when I dont owe them so much :D

John

i used cards and keys - works out at about 20 a month each...

the BBC East local tv is currently giving them some coverage - apparantly someone got a bill for over £58,000 :rotfl:

they suspected it wasn't right......

Mr Cat said:
i used cards and keys - works out at about 20 a month each...

You ususaly pay over the knocker for those, but £480 a year doesn't really seem that high, it all depends though if your living in a tiny bed sit and hardly put the heating on and are vigalent about turning every unused light out then maybe it could be steep.

Games Guru said:

We have an AGA - costs about £7 a week to run (according to my local service engineer), and does the cooking, hot water and drying of all our clothes.

However.... there is the small matter of the £5K needed to buy one in the first place (BTW ours came with the house) and the £400 I've paid in the last 2 years on servicing costs. :(

I'm with Sainsbury Energy - who is Scottish Power by another name - and pay £121 a month via DD. That's for a 4 bed detached house - with 4 people living there, 3 computers, 1 AV system, 2 games consoles blah, blah blah... Don't know how that compares to anyone elses. But I've started getting the energy saver bulbs all over the place as the kids leave lights on everywhere :mad:

johnscarlet said:
I use about 9000 kWh of leccy and if my sums are right 20000 of gas annally :suicide: . My gas only fires a regularly serviced combi so comparisons to that would be especially welcome :lease:

Cheers
John

My last house had a combi for central heating and hot water plus we had a gas cooker.

Overall gas and elec in a 4 story (1300 sq ft) terraced house was about £80 a month - that was 2.5 years ago.

mrtbag said:
John,

I was watching BBC Breakfast this morning and Powergen came up in a story. They've been overcharging apparently.

May be worth checking with them again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4402430.stm

Its a similar story to the one I linked to originally . I spent most of yesterday afternoon on the phone with Powergen ,I have only been with them since july last year so its fairly easy to work out how much I have used . Although have you ever tried to work out your gas consumption :suicide: .
Cheer mate

John

Hi I recently switched comapnies using uswitch.com

Does your new company settle your old bill for you? Anyone know

PS leaving crappy Powergen to atlantic energy

I've just switched from National Power to Atlantic Energy also, after visiting the uswitch site. If you access the uswitch site via www.greasypalm.com you get a £7 credit on your greasy account, too.... :smashin:

Chris Lamle said:
But I've started getting the energy saver bulbs all over the place as the kids leave lights on everywhere :mad:

:D Same problem here! The kids leave lights on everywhere. B&Q were recently doing power saving bulbs for 98p each so I bought some of those for the "big burners" and any lights that they would fit into without looking stupid!

Our combined monthly bill with British Gas is currently just under £110 per month. :(

...PJ

Chumpy said:
Geez - I think my bill is getting expensive at 20 a month for each :D

And i though i was paying too much at £18.00 each.

Saying that i only live in a one bedroom flat.

Dal

FGS you all should have my bills.

Electricity 15,000 kWh per annum
Gas 58,000 kWh

I pay £156 per month for both with NPower.

Just a word of warning. Be careful of comparison sites.

They tend to quote savings by assuming you are a quarterly, cash and over the counter payer with your current supplier (ie not getting any discounts) Unlikely, unless you are a complete nerd. The comparison with the new supplier assumes you will switch to up front direct debit, paperless billing and dual fuel (getting both gas and electric from them). ie getting all the discounts going.

Therefore, if you already have all these discounts with your current supplier, the savings wont be half as good as quoted. :thumbsdow

Newspaper stories (frighteners), saying you could save £400+ per year, seem to assume that we us as much gas and electricy as Buckinham Palace. Out of all proportion to my bills anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom