Gary Mckinnon

wookielover

Prominent Member
Reaction score
so a decision is expected today from the home seceraty whether extradition will take place.

what are peoples views and opinions?

personally i feel that he should be sent to the states.

i think if he was Muslim with different coloured skin and did exactly the same then peoples opinions will very skewed and i suspect the old daily fail would have a massive headline about it . just a thought.

The guy has Asperger syndrome IIRC? The government agencies should give him a job.

Difficult

(1) If he really does Aspergers then I have real sympathies and understanding as my sonsuffers from it and I know that he often does strange things but when he expalins the logic you can see exactly where he is coming from. I also know that he would fair very badly if dragged away out of his comfort zone. I said 'if' and the reason is that I vagually recall when this first came to the media that the diagnosis was made after the attack, or certainly very late in his life - in my experience this seems odd.

(2) I'm pretty sure that if the situation were reversed the US citizen suffering fwith Aspergers would not be extradited to the UK.

Cheers,

Nigel

Commits a crime and it warrants a sentence , go for it couldn't care if he black ,white purple or green he's broken the law.

His "illness" is just being banded around in the hope it gets him off the hook.

I know some one with asperger don't see him hacking into government computers causing damage etc, mckinnon is a shifty looking guy he knows what he was doing wrong and hiding behind his mother to protect him, about time he manned up grew some balls and dealt with this head on.

Why was Talha Ahsan extradited to the US a couple of weeks back on 'terrorist' charges who also suffers from Aspergers?

That's a fair decision in my view. The Americans were looking to make an example of Mckinnon anyway. As I understand it there were plenty of other people taking advantage of security loopholes in the system. He was just unlucky enough to be the one chosen for punishment.

Difficult

(1) If he really does Aspergers then I have real sympathies and understanding as my sonsuffers from it and I know that he often does strange things but when he expalins the logic you can see exactly where he is coming from. I also know that he would fair very badly if dragged away out of his comfort zone. I said 'if' and the reason is that I vagually recall when this first came to the media that the diagnosis was made after the attack, or certainly very late in his life - in my experience this seems odd.

(2) I'm pretty sure that if the situation were reversed the US citizen suffering fwith Aspergers would not be extradited to the UK.

Cheers,

Nigel

yeah, I knew someone who's 15 year old son suffers fom aspergers...and my limited knowledge (and don't know much about this court case apart from the headline) of this 15 yar old lad - he had it all his life, but was only diagnosed in his teens (was seen as a troublesome kid!)...

he was intelligent tho - knew all the stats of uk cars over the last 20 years or so as if he had all the info on some trump cards...you could name a model and year - and he'd know everything about them...
sadly as a down side (as you'll know) - his social skills were lacking, as were his written english skills too etc...

I have Aspergers (supposedly) and i know very well the difference between right and wrong.

However, (and i think this is true of most autistic people on the same scale area) the choice to adhere to this right and wrong is more grounded in the underlying principles of consequence.

its pretty complicated, but i do find it very hard to do things that are perceived as 'right' in an etiquette sense...

I'm not sure he should escape prosecution purely because he is addicted to asparagus.

or have I got that wrong - is he allergic to it ?

Tell the Yanks to sod off. If they want him prosecuted then do so in a UK Court. He committed the crime while in the UK.

Most people who have any knowledge of Aspergers will be more understanding as the condition is often a social disability and leaves the person with a lack of understanding of the consequences of their actions, A person can be extremely bright and follow obsessions, irrelevant of the impact it has on anyone else. A major problem is social isolation and this guy has probably never ventured further than his front gate without the support of an adult he knows well, so to find himself in such a threatening situation must be awful and he gets my full support. IMO He has done the American government a big favour by disclosing the weakness in there defence system.

The only grounds for refusal of extradition was due to the human rights act, and the high probability of his suicide, based on medical evidence.
The extradition treaty is being misused by the U.S. It needs fixing, which I think is now going to happen.

He committed the crime while in the UK.
That ought to be what really matters - if there was a crime, and if he committed it.

The illness needn't be relevant, and Mr N's comments about "manning up" and "growing balls" are out of order.

cornish said:
yep... now all the govt need to do is kick his wife and any kids out of their £1m rented london home and send them back to their own country.

Think his wife is British and so are his kids

For me it is very simple, the USA has history of refusing extradition to the UK and we are in a so-called special relationship, so no; I do not believe he should be extradited.

wookielover said:
Think his wife is British and so are his kids

Saying that wiki tells me otherwise ...

The poor guy did them a favour and exposed how fragile and vulnerable their security is. The yanks love to come down hard on foreigners and foreign companies for political gain so their people think they still rule the world. Think BP. However I can't help feeling that either a deal has been done somewhere or else they'll respond with some tit for tat decision in the future against us. I am glad we have stood up to them and believe the govt have reached the right decision.

Most people who have any knowledge of Aspergers will be more understanding as the condition is often a social disability and leaves the person with a lack of understanding of the consequences of their actions, A person can be extremely bright and follow obsessions, irrelevant of the impact it has on anyone else. A major problem is social isolation and this guy has probably never ventured further than his front gate without the support of an adult he knows well, so to find himself in such a threatening situation must be awful and he gets my full support. IMO He has done the American government a big favour by disclosing the weakness in there defence system.

I don't disagree with any of that in general.

But- and there's always a but.

McKinnon's condition has always seemed a bit sketchy. For the bulk of the original court hearing, it was never mentioned that he suffered from Aspergers. It wasn't until the second or third appeal that it was even brought into the testimony. Prior to this McKinnon was routinely interviewed and he also made no mention of it either. All of a sudden, he has Aspergers and has kept shtum ever since.

People with Aspergers syndrome can indeed have issues with an action being "right" or "wrong" and I don't dispute that. I do have issues with this particular case though.

Oh I wasn't aware he has only just been diagnosed or revealed he has Aspergers. He may be a bit more manipulative then by choosing to hide behind his mother, I just got the feeling those supporting him had decided it was better for others to speak for him in public as he could come over as arrogant due to his Aspergers, Does make me think about the "buts" Ed Selley

The ticker on sky news said the US expressed 'disappointment ' with the decision.

The bigger they come , the harder they fall as they say, humiliating for the US.

But I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he was at risk of suicide were he to be extradited and only therefore his human rights would be violated. It's scraping the barrel a bit in my opinion and a bit of a cop out excuse than to say we have issues with the one sided treaty and the potentially draconian fate awaiting our citizens.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom