Question Garrard GT35p record player

kenfowler3966

Established Member
Reaction score
Been having a clear our and now have space in living room to get out my Garrard GT35 record player, bought 1976 and in perfect cosmetic condition. It has been in warm dry storage for possibly 20 years, worked perfectly when put away but now the speed varies erratically. Drive belt was very loose so I have fitted a new one but this made the variable speed issue even worse.
I know this is not a well thought of deck but I have it and don't want to buy another and it holds a lot of memories. I had even replaced the cartridge just before putting it away. I also have loads of records I haven’t played for year's.
What would have gone wrong in storage, and is it easily fixed? I have read elsewhere that the capacitors can fail but I would expect that to be in use not in storage. I could replace the capacitors myself, have done it on a pvr in the past successfully. But why would they fail if not in use?

Capacitors will degrade even when not in use. Probably a DC motor controlling speed, probably is not rocket science to have a see if maybe the culprit. Does the platter spin freely?

Yes everything else works fine and the turntable spins smoothly. When I first tried it it was running reasonably and the speed adjustment worked but it quickly became very erratic for almost stopping to too fast in cycles.

Does this player have a speed adjustment control? If so think your problem probably lies in the control circuit, if not there must be some friction factor between motor and platter

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom