Garmin problem.....????

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by kevoh, Mar 20, 2006.

1. kevoh

kevoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Guys...Just a newbe...So please be lenient......:thumbsup:

I have just purchased a Garmin I3....And,It would seem ..I`m unable to find any sats....Last night,The system was trying for 1 3/4 hours without sucess...I even stood outside in the cold for 1/2 hour without any connection.....
    Also what location do i use with the same time zone as england please....?????Thanks....Kev.

2. the porter

the porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,593
    you will usually find inside or just slightly outdoors it struggles to pick up sats but i find as soon as you get in the car fix it to your windscreen ,within 1 to 5 mins its sorted also has your car got a heated windscreen sometimes that affects the performance!!time zone yes same as uk western europe yeah thats right me thinks lol

wear a coat next time and take a brew!!

3. kevoh

kevoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Porter....I`ll have to give that a try...Much appreciated:smashin: ....Kev.

4. the porter

the porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,593
    no problemo hope it helps coz you have a fine piece of kit for the money:thumbsup:

5. Richard5

Richard5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can set time zone to western europe, or strangley enough Iceland, bothe are the same!

Satellite fix should be achieved within a couple of minutes (possibly longer on very first start up).

I find it takes longer if I have moved between switching it off anf back on again (it has to work out where it is).

Apart from that it's a fantastic unit and I love it :clap:

6. kevoh

kevoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,....I have had to take mine back to get a replacement unit.....Tried again last night to connect to a satalite....But,To no avail....:thumbsdow :suicide:

Now got the replacement unit....And,Its absolutlly fantastic..What a grand little unit indeed.....Well pleased...

Once again...Thanks for the help and advice Guys.Very much appreciated.....Kev.:clap:

7. the porter

the porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,593
    dont forget to upload the speed cam database and the 30000 pois!!glad you got it sorted it really is a cracking unit!

8. ja1983

ja1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also recommend this nice, cheap, compact, but surprisingly useful lil piece of kit!

picked mine up from halfords yesturday, already recommended one to two friends!

managed to get the POI and a bucket full of points loaded (www.garminpoi.co.uk) but no camera locations, i know www.pocketgpsworld have a database, but dont have a card that i wish to trust with a website, also have issues with paypal (long story, lol).

anyone point me in the direction of either a free download, or shop bought locations? anyone got some they would be prepared to mail to me (in exchange for beer tokens of course!) :lease:

9. kevoh

kevoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys....Just another little point if i may....I put some new batteries in the unit only yesterday....To show a friend,Used the unit for approx 10 mins max....Come to the unit today and the batteries are flat...The unit has been switched off all day/night...But,The batteries have been left in the sat nav...
    Surely thay must last more than this....???????:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Thanks....Kev.

10. the porter

the porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,593
    kev i had exactly the same thing it drains batteries like there is no tomorrow but i just use the car charger for that reason i dont think its a fault it just loves batteries!!

11. kevoh

kevoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you again Porter,....I thought perhaps i had another duff unit...:thumbsup:

Thank you for your reply....Kev.

12. the porter

the porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,593
    again no problem happy to help:thumbsup:

13. Richard5

Richard5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think it may be your batteries or i3, i bought mine two weeks ago and haven't changed the batteries yet (Duracell M3's), I have only used it on batteries a couple of times (when I first got it and was playing in the garden with it) the rest it is by the powered lead. When I'm parked it's hiddden in the car unplugged. Maybe I've been lucky :D

14. kevoh

kevoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Richard....Just a brief update...Took the unit back to halfords (Again)...The unit started switching itself off...Whilst i was selecting a postcode eta...It was this why i thought the batteries were at fault...Becouse,When i placed new batteries in the unit seemed to behave itself...
    Anyway,It switched off again whilst the sat nav guy was testing it at halfords....So he has given me a complete new unit (Again)..However,He spoke to another techie ...And it would appear...These units "MUST" have alkaline batteries put in and not just the Zinc Carbon items which i had placed in...(I thought all the non-rechargable ones were now alkaline..)Apparently,the dranage curve is diffrent...And the alkaline has a lower voltage drop throughout its discharge.....
    SO-Fingers crossed....I hope this time i`m lucky,As its a crackingly brilliant unit...And,Im well pleased otherwise...:lease:
    .....Kev.

15. nimal

nimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i have a problem with my garmin StreetPilot i3. On the screen of the StreetPilot it said that the maps are out of date. So i hooked it upto my computer and went to update it, but then on the StreetPilot it said 'system software missing' and the updater froze. Is their anyway of fixing this problem??

Nimal Patel

16. mudster

mudster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After I updated my I3, I get an error message " System software missing" and then the display freezes. can anyone help?

17. mudster

mudster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get amy help for your "system software is missing, mine is doing the same thing, can u help?