Garmin Nuvi 310 deluxe traffic alerts activation problem

T

Terri

Hi, newby here

i have just purchased the nuvi 310 deluxe this included a paid up subscription for traffic information and have got the unlock codes for the nuvi and traffic alerts from Garmin.

I've entered the code for traffic alerts its says its accepted it but i do not get any traffic news and when you go into the traffic section on nuvi it says it needs the code again.

Help..:lease:

Have you registered the product on the Garmin website and entered the 25 digit code on the yellow slip of paper?
It's not obvious, because the code is on the back of the slip.

Terri said:
Hi, newby here

i have just purchased the nuvi 310 deluxe this included a paid up subscription for traffic information and have got the unlock codes for the nuvi and traffic alerts from Garmin.

I've entered the code for traffic alerts its says its accepted it but i do not get any traffic news and when you go into the traffic section on nuvi it says it needs the code again.

Help..:lease:

If you are receiving traffic transmissions, you should see the blue diamond icon on the main (menu) display.
This assumes that you have power plugged in to the back and the TMC receiver plugged-in to the main unit.

If you have the traffic icon, but it is greyed-out, then you are not receiving traffic messages.

In which case, I suggest that you take a look at the following thread.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modul...pic&t=43201&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

I've just bought the NUVI 310d also and I'm confused about whether I need unlock codes for the FM TMC traffic updates. I've registered with Garmin and it automatically knew the 25 digit code that was supplied but I thought that was just for the euro maps which are now unlocked. Says on the box that traffic is plug in (GMT12) and available straight away but I get nothing when it is connected. Do I need to unlock the traffic updates somehow? :confused:

As has been already suggested check out the threads on the Pocket GPS World Garmin Nuvi forum.

There are plenty of reports of people having problems getting decent and consistent TMC reception with the GTM12 in the UK. Due to the amount of calls to their Customer Support dept Garmin are aware of issues but as yet don't appear to come up with a satisfactory fix.

I took my Nuvi 310D back to Halfords for a refund because the TMC reception was so erratic and inconsistent and I won't consider buying another until I know the problem has been fully resolved.
Although as a GPS it's up there with the best I couldn't recommend buying a Nuvi 310D at present if one of the main reasons is to have a TMC receiver.

Thanks. I read the other thread and I just need to make sure I have done all the registering etc and that I do have the same sort of problem rather that me just being an idiot. :rolleyes: I have registered the delux product via mygarmin but when I go into traffic via settings it says that there are no subscriptions activated but I can see the RAC lifetime subscription. It then comes up with a message that it will activate the next time it receives traffic signal and satellite info. I can also go and search for traffic info signal but it just keeps searching. I was running it off the mains using an adaptor so its not the lighter power issue. Have I registered it correctly and it it just that I'm not getting any traffic info?

I am convinced the traffic reception problems with the Garmin units is transmitter based. I have the C510D which I brought from Halfords a couple of weeks ago. I live out in the sticks but work in London. I only ever start to receive traffic info within the M25. This is pretty consistent.

AND...last week I took the unit on a drive to Germany passing through France, Belgium and Holland. All of these countries, without fail, had far more traffic info coming through than the UK and very up to date. Whenever the unit was switched on I immediately got traffic info through, and a lot more of it than the UK. They just seem to have got their act together over there on the continent...

According to a post on another forum someone received the following from Garmin

"We've finally uncovered the cause of the GTM issues.
The company producing the cigerette adapters changed the design without informing us, and the effect of this was severe signal noise getting into the antena.
You'll be glad to know that the UK is the only country affected by this though, because the broadcasted traffic information is a far stronger signal everywhere else in Europe.
The solution to this is a redesigned adapter power cable'

Assuming the above information is accurate it doesn't appear the poor reception problems are transmitter based however it didn't say if Garmin were planning on distributing new power leads.

Sorry for the late addition to this, but I'm considering a 310DL and wondered if that means it's fine running off batteries?

Sorry for the late addition to this, but I'm considering a 310DL and wondered if that means it's fine running off batteries?

The 310D itself runs off its internal battery for navigation, but the GTM12 TMC receiver will not run without the 310D being connected to an external power source.

That is interesting - thanks.

While you're here, might I ask you a couple of questions about how it works?

Particularly, can one scroll around the country and "see" traffic-related incidents, or a flow speed or something like that?

Also, why does the unit have to be moving before it can "do" traffic?

That is interesting - thanks.

While you're here, might I ask you a couple of questions about how it works?

Particularly, can one scroll around the country and "see" traffic-related incidents, or a flow speed or something like that?

Also, why does the unit have to be moving before it can "do" traffic?

As long as the Nuvi is connected to an external power source, and you are in range of one of the FM radio stations that is transmitting the TMC data, then you can see a list of events, starting with the nearest to your present location.
I can so this in my dining room at home, with the nuvi powered from my PC.

It will work (or should work) when the Nuvi is powered from a mains adapter, connected to your PC USB port, or the car charger (it's the latter where there is a current problem).
My nuvi only receives TMC using the car adapter if the battery is fully charged, but I understand that replacement power adapters will be available soon.

There are different icons for traffic queues, roadworks and I think something else.
There are also colour codes for the degree of severity of the problem.
I also saw a colour code alongside the road on the display when I was on a slow section of the M25 last week.

When it works, it's very impressive.

I'm currently in The Netherlands and the messages appear in English, so there must be international codes that get converted into the unit's language.

I just spoke to Garmin UK who said they have power adapters in stock and will send them out on request.

Thus I've decided to go for a 310D and am prepared to be disappointed!

According to several posts on the Pocket GPS World forums Garmin aren't yet sending out 'permanent fix' 12V power leads.Any power leads they do send out aren't really different from those already available and several users have discovered they don't make any difference at all.
Apparently Garmin UK are still waiting for something more permanent from Garmin US.

Presumably another workaround for this is to use the mains adaptor with an inverter?

I have recently downloaded the Garmin safety camera database on to my nuvi 310 and since then I have been getting the message "Route Waypoint Memory Full" and the unit won't navigate a route to the chosen destination. The unit still has some 200 mb free so I don't think it's a storage problem. Can any body help?

:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom