• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Garmin I3

T

tony6403

I need only a basic system so this appeals to me . What also appeals is that Comet are currently selling it for just under £100 . Are there any basic difficulties with this kit please ?

Artie Fufkin

Prominent Member
tony6403 said:
Are there any basic difficulties with this kit please ?
No there aren't [unless you might be thinking of using it abroad]. For £99 the i3 is the elecronic bargain of the year.

Geordie Jester

Prominent Member
When Somerfield was still Kwiksave, they were selling them off before Xmas (2005). They were only 80 quid.

I soooooooo regret not getting one.

but then again, I aint got lost since then either.

But great gadgets

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
tony6403 said:
I need only a basic system so this appeals to me . What also appeals is that Comet are currently selling it for just under £100 . Are there any basic difficulties with this kit please ?

It is a brilliant device, small, easy to install, easy to use, you can down load POIs (points of interests such as speed camera locations) - never had a problem with mine - go buy!!!

T

tony6403

Thanks for the advice . Just one issue which I read somewhere , will the heated front screen on my Mondeo affect the performance of this unit ? Could I place it away from the screen if this is a problem ?

B

broxy

tony6403 said:
Thanks for the advice . Just one issue which I read somewhere , will the heated front screen on my Mondeo affect the performance of this unit ? Could I place it away from the screen if this is a problem ?

My navman dosn't get a good signal on the heated windscreen of my ford so I just put it to the edge of the windscreen where there are no elements and it works a treat.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
tony6403 said:

I have a mondeo (new type '02) with heated front screen and never had a problem!!!

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
tony6403 said:

i aint had a problem with my mondeo screen , put the unit down on the right hand bottom corner of the screen and you will be fine , there are no elements in the corners of the screen :smashin:

H

HKRFOREVER

Just purchased i3 , using poi loader just keep getting " no free space " when trying to unload poi , even tried just loading single poi but nojoy......thanks in advance

Phil

flangemonkey

Established Member
HKRFOREVER said:
Just purchased i3 , using poi loader just keep getting " no free space " when trying to unload poi , even tried just loading single poi but nojoy......thanks in advance

Phil

You'll need to get hold of a card reader for the TransFlash MicroSD card - and use POI Loader to load the POIs directly to that, rather than to the internal memory of the i3. There was someone on eBay selling 32Mb TransFlash cards with an adaptor to fit a standard SD-card reader slot. You won't need the card, since it's too small to use for anything really, but the BIN price was only £3.50.

mike7

Distinguished Member
tony6403 said:

I have a Fiesta with a heated front windscreen. The Garmin works almost anywhere inside the car. I sometimes balance it in the tray by the gear lever rather than fixing it to the windscreen. No extra aerial connections attached and it works quite happily. Mine also works in several European countries. I've been very pleased with it.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
flangemonkey said:
You'll need to get hold of a card reader for the TransFlash MicroSD card - and use POI Loader to load the POIs directly to that, rather than to the internal memory of the i3. There was someone on eBay selling 32Mb TransFlash cards with an adaptor to fit a standard SD-card reader slot. You won't need the card, since it's too small to use for anything really, but the BIN price was only £3.50.

Isnt there a card in the unit, that you can update via the USB cable supplied? I had no problem uploading POIs on to mine via USB.

flangemonkey

Established Member
Yes, mine has a 256Mb one pre-installed. This has the map data on it, leaving ~60Mb free or so...

The problem is that when using POI Loader, by default it loads POIs onto the i3's internal memory, not the card, and on mine at least I was getting "out of space" errors when uploading the POIs from Matf's site and the pocketgpsworld.com camera database. Once I got the card reader, and used POI Loader to upload to that, it worked fine...

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom