Garmin i3 in London

yoskiwoski

I think I am going to get one of these cheap sat navs for my girlfriend, I read on a user review on Amazon that it wont work in centre of London, anyone know if this is true or not?

Thanx

Chris Muriel

All GPS Satnavs will have a problem when surrounded by tall buildings ; I suspect that is all that was being referred to. An external aerial may improve matters a little but there is no catchall solution - for an i3, Tomtom or any other make.
If the antenna can't "see" the satellites then it can't get a location fix - simple as that.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

mij

I live in South London and have had no problems in the few days I have had one so far (It gets a signal in seconds of turning on) I am off to central London today and will let you know how it performed.

jian

I have one of these and they are pretty good, however, when in the middle of the square mile, mine did lose its way, and given that I was surrouded on all sides by tall buildings, i wasn;t surprised.

Generally however, an excellent piece of kit for the money.

mij

Driven from East London to the City of London, then through Trafalgar Square on the way to the Natural History Museum and the i3 lost it's signal about half dozen times. Each time it lost the signal it took less than a minute to lock onto again.

For the price I cannot fault it and can say that I have had other sat navs and they all lose their signal occasionally on the journey I described above.

yoskiwoski

Thanks for the info, got one today, so far it is just saying 'locating satelites' and doesn't seem to work on my road!:(

Top Bottom