• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Garmin 1490T - Reformat required

Cottonsocks

Standard Member
I have a Garmin 1490T which has started giving me problems when I try to connect it to my home PC. I get this error message:-

Microsoft Windows. You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it. Do you want to format it? Format/Cancel

I have tried using the device on my office PC (Windows XP) and it works OK. It also worked OK (intermittently) until a few days ago on my home PC (Windows Vista Home Premium) but won't anymore. I have tried connecting via a USB hub and also direct to my PC, but no difference. I have also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Garmin USB drivers, but again, no success. I don't know what else I can try. Has anyone come across this before and found a solution to it?

Regards

Brian E

deckingman

Novice Member
I'm no expert but I'd have thought drivers. Seems like the PC thinks the Garmin is a USB hard drive and nothing more.

Cottonsocks

Standard Member
I had a long conversation with a Garmin support representative yesterday, but she couldn't come up with a solution. Fortunately, I found the solution myself today and it's so simple when you know how. I simply found the device in Control Panel/Device Manager, uninstalled it and then rebooted my PC. On rebooting, a popup appeared saying that device drivers were being installed. After a few seconds, the sat nav was able to reconnect to my PC.:D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom