Garmin 1490T - Reformat required

Cottonsocks

Standard Member
I have a Garmin 1490T which has started giving me problems when I try to connect it to my home PC. I get this error message:-

Microsoft Windows. You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it. Do you want to format it? Format/Cancel

I have tried using the device on my office PC (Windows XP) and it works OK. It also worked OK (intermittently) until a few days ago on my home PC (Windows Vista Home Premium) but won't anymore. I have tried connecting via a USB hub and also direct to my PC, but no difference. I have also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Garmin USB drivers, but again, no success. I don't know what else I can try. Has anyone come across this before and found a solution to it?

Regards

Brian E

deckingman

Novice Member
I'm no expert but I'd have thought drivers. Seems like the PC thinks the Garmin is a USB hard drive and nothing more.

Cottonsocks

Standard Member
I had a long conversation with a Garmin support representative yesterday, but she couldn't come up with a solution. Fortunately, I found the solution myself today and it's so simple when you know how. I simply found the device in Control Panel/Device Manager, uninstalled it and then rebooted my PC. On rebooting, a popup appeared saying that device drivers were being installed. After a few seconds, the sat nav was able to reconnect to my PC.:D

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom