Garmin 1390T or 1490T

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Biscuit761, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Biscuit761

Biscuit761

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    i am in the market for a sat nav to make my journeys easier, i think i have come down to the 1390T and 1490T Garmin units but would like the lifetime maps as well.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction please (sorry about the just realised pun !)

Bill

2. happhhitachi

happhhitachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Can I ask why you picked the garmin units over TomTom?
    I' in the market too Nd currently leaning towards a TT 1000/1005 but still undecided people seem to have issues with both TT and Garmin units. Not an easy choice.

3. Biscuit761

Biscuit761

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    We borrowed a Garmin Nuvi for a to to France earlier in the year, had no instructions - it worked superbly and was so easy, read a few reviews and that convinced us.

Have now bought a 1490LMT (Lifetime map updates plus traffic avoidance) as Halfords had it for £149, bit over budget but it has loads of features plus maps to 43 European countries.

Don't buy the USB cable they try and sell you - one comes with it :smashin:

Bill

4. happhhitachi

happhhitachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    In the end I couldnt see a distinct reason to choose either a TT or Garmin unit, both seem to have common issues. I liked the junction view on the Garmin and can see advantages for this, and its a monthly sub so if it doset work can presumably be stopped. Downside the Garmmins have a reputation for being slow to acquire a lock. TT's seem to have better traffic (but less then parfect) and dont have the junction view :-( reputation for faster lock and.

Just ordered a TT 1005 but have to say it was simply because the last unit was a TT. Not really a very good comment on either really, that both seem to have significat issues.

Lets hope we are both plesantly suprised.