[gardening] flower magic seed mix

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having seen the adverts and product I'm just wandering and thinking surely something like this must be able to be home made cheaper and more cost effective

I'm thinking 100s of cheap mixed seeds from eBay and some compost and feed

Does anyone make there own similar product to make sowing borders easier ?

I have a customer where I prepare hundreds of pots each year for seeds. I also have to collect and colour code all the Poppy seeds ready for the following year as well as cutting back the Lunaria, hanging it then collecting the seeds.
She also purchases plug plants which I have to pot up and we take a far few cuttings of various plants which I also pot up.

I do a lot more here with plants but its so easy to harvest what you have already.

I reckon a group of gardeners could do it cheaper, just the one probably not.

Once you've sown annuals, then they should self-seed each year so it ought to be a 'one off' cost.

It looks a tad optimistic that you can spray a plastic can about for 5 minutes and get borders that look like that

The instructions should read, walk, tip , but I bet there's a lot more than that on the can

wack said:
It looks a tad optimistic that you can spray a plastic can about for 5 minutes and get borders that look like that

The instructions should read, walk, tip , but I bet there's a lot more than that on the can

From what's on the back of the pot it seems not. Maybe the instructions fold out. I'm guessing works much like the patch magic which I found very hit and miss ( and much cheaper to just overseed with similar results )

Can anyone suggest the best annuals to go for that I would have the most success from self seedling.

Most of my garden are various shrubs but would like couple good borders of multiple colours and love the self seeding.

Well there's quite a few that you could try.
First off all you have poppies, Honesty, forget me nots and foxgloves. There are many more but these are simple plants.

The foxglove and honesty tend to flower in the second year .

Poppies are easy to collect. Wait for the head to develop and brown off with the holes showing and you simply cut head and shake in a tub to collect seeds. Sprinkle next spring or late spring early summer.

Foxgloves are just a case of waiting for the seeds to show then cutting stem and shaking over a prepared border.

Forget me nots are aggressive seeders. Wait for the flower to finish and produce seed heads then remove mother plant and shake. These tend to take over.

Honesty is a little different where you wait for the seed heads to turn silver and I cut the main plant stem and hang them to dry. Once done rub the seed heads to gather seeds and simply scatter them on a prepared bed.

Here's a border showing a simple layout that gives a early colour using tulips, daffs and forget me nots. There are lilies and bearded irises in there to for later colour.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366656931.858234.jpg

and another before this where I prepared the bed

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366656980.489597.jpg

Half the battle is ground conditions, weather and then the quality of the seeds.

Cheers

Did that with some Poppy seeds last season so hope to see the results this
Im after as low a maintenance but colourful garden as possible

Have loads shrubs etc but plenty space between them

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom