Garden Setup

GarethBurrows

Novice Member
Hi all

first post, so please be gentle, I'm aware I have a LOT to learn.

So I've bought myself a shed. OK, it's a beast. It's 10 metres long by about 4 metres wide and built very sturdily. It's partitioned halfway along so I end up with two rooms. One will be a toolshed / workshop. The other half will be, and I can't believe my wife is letting me do this, my own little garden cinema room. So anyway, I'm in the process of insulating it etc and wiring it for power.

I have a room that is 4.4 metres in length, and it could have in reality a maximum of a 120 inch 16:9 fixed frame at one end and a sofa at the end, with lots of speakers and an AV receiver etc. What I know LEAST about is projectors.

Ideally, I'd like 4K as I love my 4k movies but if you guys tell me it's not worth it I'll listen.

Considerations

1. The room is about 2 metres high at the end with the sofa, about 2.4 metres high at the end the screen is at. The "might" be room for a projector above he sofa but it would be better placed a few feet forward from the ceiling if that's possible.
2. The room has a couple of glass windows, which I will be be putting blackout curtains on. We are also painting the room in matt paint - pretty dark but not properly dark (the wife won't let me go crazy and wants a grey ceiling). So inevitably there will be a degree of ambient light.
3. Budget for the projector maybe 4K?. Probably stretch to 5 if it made all the difference?

I'll enjoy picking everyone's brains about receiver and speaker at some point, but thought I'd start with the projector. My wife is a bit concerned about a table mounted short or ultra short throw projector.

So, given that considerations, what should I be looking at?

thanks all

G

Last edited:

alebonau

hi GB, congrats on the development !

what is the budget for screen and projector ? also do consider a sound system to match... audio/video is a 50/50 experience and both add to scale, immersion and enjoyment for the experience :)

GarethBurrows

Novice Member
hi GB, congrats on the development !

what is the budget for screen and projector ? also do consider a sound system to match... audio/video is a 50/50 experience and both add to scale, immersion and enjoyment for the experience :)
As stated, budget for the projector is about 4K. I'm looking to spend around 1K for the screen, and then maybe 3K for the AVR and speakers.

alebonau

As stated, budget for the projector is about 4K. I'm looking to spend around 1K for the screen, and then maybe 3K for the AVR and speakers.
1k should buy a reasonable screen staying out of the ebay cheapies....

4k on budget for projector dont know street pricing but imagine you are looking at non native 4k in epson 9400 or if looking at native 4k projectors either sony 270es or jvc n5 (if can twist some arms to get into budget) :) with any of these factor in a professional calibration... be essential in your non typical environment and also to get the best from HDR... ps in the DLP if ok with that there is the benq 5700.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I guess the best faux4K projector at your price range would be the Epson TW9400

At £2.5k this is as good as you will get without jumping to over £5k for a native 4k projector from Sony or JVC. Also as it's under budget will allow more to be spent on the sound side if you want.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Just paint the wall and save money on screen IMO. Starting from scratch, I'd put the £1k saving into the PJ or sound system or AVR.

Screens can always be picked up second hand for bargain bucket prices but it takes timing to get the best deal. Never good to be in the position of a buyer who NEEDs a screen.

I've had awesome results from Dulux GreySteel and it allows me to change image size from 160'' to 170'' to 150'' all very easily.

I would prioritise:
1. Paint the PJ wall dulux greysteel
2. Paint the walls of the room as dark as you can and ceiling
3. Install curtain tracks
4. Custom make MVEL22 curtains to temporarily 'treat' the room when it is in function
5. Budget for a big black rug OR get dark carpet/wooden floor
6. Alexa light control - makes life easy.

PJ wise,
1. Epson 9300 second hand £1k
OR
2. Epson 9400 NEW £2k
OR
3. JVC X5000 + second hand £1k-£3k
OR
4. JVC N5+ new £5k+

I'd easily go for an N5 if you can afford one.

Sound wise, I'd also budget clearly for subwoofer that is decent and speakers if you don't have any. If you don't have speakers, I'd dedicate a fair chunk of the budget to that. Second hand, you get some insane value. I'd try to pick up a good subwoofer; say at least a BK monolith + if your budget is <£500

Once you have the room setup, then get in the gear (especially the PJ) because if you have a very treated room with MVEL22 curtains for the side walls (basically a black hole near the projection part of the room) then a JVC very easy to reccomend for some phenomenal results.

alebonau

At £2.5k this is as good as you will get without jumping to over £5k for a native 4k projector from Sony or JVC. Also as it's under budget will allow more to be spent on the sound side if you want.
agree will allow money spent on room and audio ... but also OP maybe allowing more on screen if needed... which is often forgotten i reckon and is where literally rubber hits the road ! the caves which image is portrayed ! ... good screens are gold and will literally hang around long past projectors that have come and gone... my screen has seen 2 epsons and 3 jvc ! and thats with me even keeping projectors 3-5 years typcially and see no reason in changing screens os well worth investing... buy once and buy well. screens also have a tragic resale so more the reason to get this right in first place :) than buying and then upgrading...

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom