Garden revamp, opinions welcome

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Moved into our house 2 years ago and have spent most of this time working internally although I'm now looking at the garden and want to create a new area, I know what I'm looking to achieve although not 100% sure of the best way to complete it. I want to do all of the work myself.

This is the area in question

I'm ripping down the shed on Saturday and want to use that section it's currently sitting on as a decked elevated patio area.

Problem is, it's currently too high to access comfortably, I'm thinking of removing 3 bricks height from the longest wall section in order to have 2 steps up to that area (2 bricks high per step) which should be comfortable. Then levelling the ground above in order to install decking, (installing sleepers as a retaining wall around that section to cater for the difference in heights)

My problem is with the steps to the area, obviously with an SDS drill and chisel, I can get those bricks away easily although the Mrs thinks this would work better:-

This would mean the steps wouldn't need to be full length although I think it would be a mess when trying to cut the bricks away.

Then there is the step construction issue, breeze blocks could do the job although might not look very nice.

How would you guys do this job, pretty sure there is an option I haven't considered. Would appreciate any input. TIA

dib

How about timber steps? If they are external to the raised bed, you could just try it out without any destruction of the wall.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Moved into our house 2 years ago and have spent most of this time working internally although I'm now looking at the garden and want to create a new area, I know what I'm looking to achieve although not 100% sure of the best way to complete it. I want to do all of the work myself.

This is the area in question

I'm ripping down the shed on Saturday and want to use that section it's currently sitting on as a decked elevated patio area.

Problem is, it's currently too high to access comfortably, I'm thinking of removing 3 bricks height from the longest wall section in order to have 2 steps up to that area (2 bricks high per step) which should be comfortable. Then levelling the ground above in order to install decking, (installing sleepers as a retaining wall around that section to cater for the difference in heights)

My problem is with the steps to the area, obviously with an SDS drill and chisel, I can get those bricks away easily although the Mrs thinks this would work better:-

This would mean the steps wouldn't need to be full length although I think it would be a mess when trying to cut the bricks away.

Then there is the step construction issue, breeze blocks could do the job although might not look very nice.

How would you guys do this job, pretty sure there is an option I haven't considered. Would appreciate any input. TIA
First thought was decking steps and how easy they would be to install.