Garden Cinema idea

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

Have been mulling over the option of getting my first PJ which will predominantly be used for a garden cinema idea.

Now before I go too far would this be a feasible idea?
I took an overhead picture of the garden from the daughters window & marked in red the idea for seating & Blue the rough option for the screen (excuse the furniture on the lawn & state of the garden in general...had new fencing done & been too lazy to move it back yet & the garden is still a serious work in progress ;))

IMG_20210322_135004.jpg

I've been looking at cheap Full HD BENQ PJ on Ebay (3D would be a nice bonus too) & I have an ancient Yamaha 5.1 setup I'll use for surround duties but do you think this is actually an achievable option or am I just wishing?

It's mostly just for the daughter to have some use with friends during the summer & for her birthday as it's unlikely we'll have a party in June but with restrictions lifting I can easily get a few friends in the garden & have some movies for her & a little get together

Certainly won't be an expensive setup & only looking at £200-£300 for the PJ

If it is possible what size screen would you recommend?

Thank you for any advice

Neil

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

Have been mulling over the option of getting my first PJ which will predominantly be used for a garden cinema idea.

Now before I go too far would this be a feasible idea?
I took an overhead picture of the garden from the daughters window & marked in red the idea for seating & Blue the rough option for the screen (excuse the furniture on the lawn & state of the garden in general...had new fencing done & been too lazy to move it back yet & the garden is still a serious work in progress ;))

View attachment 1481050

I've been looking at cheap Full HD BENQ PJ on Ebay (3D would be a nice bonus too) & I have an ancient Yamaha 5.1 setup I'll use for surround duties but do you think this is actually an achievable option or am I just wishing?

It's mostly just for the daughter to have some use with friends during the summer & for her birthday as it's unlikely we'll have a party in June but with restrictions lifting I can easily get a few friends in the garden & have some movies for her & a little get together

Certainly won't be an expensive setup & only looking at £200-£300 for the PJ

If it is possible what size screen would you recommend?

Thank you for any advice

Neil
Bad idea putting a pj outside. You are better off buying the cheapest 85’’ tv you can and putting that outside and organise some form of water proofing .

pj struggles indoors. Outside it will just be painful.
Your garden width also isn’t that gigantic that I feel the throw distance would offset the compromises

and writing and unwitting speakers outsides seems like a recipe for disaster

AdamBrunt

Standard Member
I wouldn't say putting a projector outside, per se, was a bad idea but certainly at this time of day (and with that amount of light) you'd struggle to see anything on the screen.

However, at night time - and depending on your ambient light situation - a PJ works perfectly fine outside. At 8pm, last night, I was getting a perfectly acceptable (depending on your requirements) 120" image projected onto the back wall of our house from a cheap-ish £150 projector. And the lines highlighted on the garden photo look like a similar throw distance and width to what I was testing at; 120" diagonal from about 6m away.

But, again, it's all about the requirements - you are never going to get the same image quality quality outside as with an indoor setting - but it sounds like a temporary thing he is after anyway.

Though if you know where to buy an 85" TV for £1,300 net alone his budget of £300 I am all ears :D

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't say putting a projector outside, per se, was a bad idea but certainly at this time of day (and with that amount of light) you'd struggle to see anything on the screen.

However, at night time - and depending on your ambient light situation - a PJ works perfectly fine outside. At 8pm, last night, I was getting a perfectly acceptable (depending on your requirements) 120" image projected onto the back wall of our house from a cheap-ish £150 projector. And the lines highlighted on the garden photo look like a similar throw distance and width to what I was testing at; 120" diagonal from about 6m away.

But, again, it's all about the requirements - you are never going to get the same image quality quality outside as with an indoor setting - but it sounds like a temporary thing he is after anyway.

Though if you know where to buy an 85" TV for £1,300 net alone his budget of £300 I am all ears :D

Once you add speakers avr wiring a screen which can deal with that amount of ambient light etc it will add up to more than 300

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Unless you're going to provide everyone with headphones, please spare a thought for the neighbours.

Unless you invite them all round, of course!

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Bad idea putting a pj outside. You are better off buying the cheapest 85’’ tv you can and putting that outside and organise some form of water proofing .

pj struggles indoors. Outside it will just be painful.
Your garden width also isn’t that gigantic that I feel the throw distance would offset the compromises

and writing and unwitting speakers outsides seems like a recipe for disaster

Thanks for the feedback both
@kenshingintoki as @AdamBrunt said it won't be a permanent fixture & would get set up for viewing & taken down again when done it certainly won't be outside for more than a couple of hours at most

@AdamBrunt fully appreciate midday would be no go lol but I'd be aiming for around late evening...just tried a picture out the back door to show you how dark it normally is but obviously it's just black lol

Other thing I had considered is using a gazebo as a sort of screen surround to maybe assist with darkening the screen

as I said it's nothing definite & just an idea I thought I'd throw out there & ask you guys your thoughts as you're the ones with the knowledge :)

Once you add speakers avr wiring a screen which can deal with that amount of ambient light etc it will add up to more than 300

Well aside from a screen I have absolutely everything else I'd need here...PS3 for Blu-Ray, old AV Surround kit & more than enough cables, the £300 was budget just for the PJ alone

Unless you're going to provide everyone with headphones, please spare a thought for the neighbours.

Unless you invite them all round, of course!

Lol well the idea would be to get the neighbours round but as you can see we back onto an allotment & the noise we regularly get from 3 doors down on the left from their parties in the Summer & the absolute carnage we have from the 15 year old on the right on his late night Fortnite gaming sessions I'm sure the once or twice we run a movie up to about 9pm we should be ok ;)
My daughter will only be 9 this birthday so late night for her would only be about 10pm if we let her stay up for family gatherings anyway...it certainly won't be late...I'd be mortified if I thought I was causing noise issues for my neighbours.

Thanks again for the advice guys

Neil

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I tried similar a few years ago and the light is a major problem, couldn’t put anything on until 10pm far to late, so we have a tv hung on the wall protected from the elements works great. I’m just now connecting up speakers outside with fire tv added and an Alexa, wired to an amp inside, can’t wait for nicer weather and the Euros with the hot tub on.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom