Garage want me to re-sign log book

• Thread starter Deleted member 45086
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45086

A strange one which a bit of advice if anyone else had similar.

I traded my Kia Ceed for a Renault Captur two months ago and all went well. We have since had the slip telling us that the Kia is no longer in our name and having to chase the Renault garage for our logbook which we had not got.
We now have the logbook and all is okay..
I had a call in the week from the Renault garage asking if I could call by the garage as they have sold my Kia Ceed but the new owner has apparently tippexed out my wifes name and signed himself.

All seems very odd and although I did agree to signing in the week when I had the call I have since thought about this and have decided not to. The sales lady who called me was rather shirty with me about it almost saying its a legal document that I should sign so to sell the Kia.

Whats your thoughts on this one and am I correct in saying no to signing?

Carl

If they've sold it, why do they care what the new owner does with it?

Alan, i did exactly what you have posted and I also think its to save another owner.

If they've sold it, why do they care what the new owner does with it?
Your right and more why I am confused by the request. I am now wondering if the Garage themselves have tippexed out the name. Also like any car you buy you would sign all parts of the log book with the salesman.
Carl.

Alan, i did exactly what you have posted and I also think its to save another owner.
That's what it sounds like, but why do that after they've sold it?

What do you mean by 'log book'? Do you mean the V5C certificate? You (or your wife, rather) should have signed it and passed it to the dealer or the DVLA, and that's the end of it. If she didn't sign it at the time, then that is a legal requirement, but it's the dealer's fault for not making sure at the time. I would say they should get a replacement document at their own expense for your wife to sign.

Do not, in any circumstances, have anything to do with a V5C which has been tampered with.

Just state your no longer the legal owner or keeper of the vehicle, and walk away, the car is nothing else to do with you.

I had a call in the week from the Renault garage asking if I could call by the garage as they have sold my Kia Ceed but the new owner has apparently tippexed out my wifes name and signed himself.

All seems very odd and although I did agree to signing in the week when I had the call I have since thought about this and have decided not to. The sales lady who called me was rather shirty with me about it almost saying its a legal document that I should sign so to sell the Kia.

Whats your thoughts on this one and am I correct in saying no to signing?

Carl

Do not, in any circumstances, have anything to do with a V5C which has been tampered with.

This all day long. The V5 or any other vehicle related paperwork is a government issued document. No would would entertain signing anything to do with a passport that had been altered, so I don't understand why some saleswoman at a garage expects you to get involved in a tippexed V5 - very odd. Personally, I'd be ringing the DVLA, and seeking their advice.

What do you mean by 'log book'? Do you mean the V5C certificate? You (or your wife, rather) should have signed it and passed it to the dealer or the DVLA, and that's the end of it. If she didn't sign it at the time, then that is a legal requirement, but it's the dealer's fault for not making sure at the time. I would say they should get a replacement document at their own expense for your wife to sign.

The logbook was signed by my wife as she was the owner and passed to the Garage. We have also had a receipt from DVLA stating we are no longer the legal owner.
I stated the same to the garage that as we are no longer the legal owner it is between the garage and the new owner to deal with.

The logbook was signed by my wife as she was the owner and passed to the Garage. We have also had a receipt from DVLA stating we are no longer the legal owner.
I stated the same to the garage that as we are no longer the legal owner it is between the garage and the new owner to deal with.

Sounds like you are already doing the right thing here. I'd tell the garage to do one. Either they are trying something dodgy or trying to cover up some admin fudgeup.

Show this to the garage and ask them to take it up with the DVLA, it's nothing to do with you now.

I'm guessing the garage filled in the V5 incorrectly. Instead of transferring vehicle ownership from you to the garage, they've filled out the bit for the "new owner" and thus added another previous owner. When you transfer ownership to the garage it is not counted as a previous owner, but the vehicle cannot be taxed or insured either. Hence why dealers have their own insurance and trade plates.

As Doug said.
Definitely sounds dodgy.

I'd say a dodgy attempt to cover a cock-up. It's hard to understand why the new owner thought that tipex-ing the signature would be OK.

As others have said; walk away. You've done all you needed to do. The car has legally nothing to do with you.

=== EDIT ===
Oh, and as you've done your bit, whatever you do don't go back there to sign anything else, no matter how they try to insist. You could be abetting a crime.

If neuty is no longer the registered keeper, and the DVLC have told him so, then that's it I would have thought. If one or other of the garage or new owner have spoiled the V5C for whatever reason, then they need to apply for a new /replacement one.

Cross posted with DPB, what he said :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom