1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage On No Budget

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by asimm, Jul 27, 2003.

1. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Ok, so the other half has kicked my gear out of the spare room. She has said (after much persuading) that I can use the garage as long as I spend no money. So the mission is:

To be able to set up and use the garage with hifi/av gear without spending any money.
    I have done a search on the subject and some infor that seems to be important is below:

The garage is 5 yeras old
    Is external ajoining another neighbours garage (there are therefor 3 external walls
    There is power
    There is a 5 lever lock on the door
    There is a fairly bog standard garage door
    It is a large garage - large enough for an estate and fridge freezer/tumble dryer
    No idea on damp proofing
    The garage is quite away from any houses so noise pollution shouldn't really be an issue

My plan is (please tell me if this is mad):
    To secure the main garage door using a thick plank of wood going from the floor to the underside of the top rim of the garage door (this will mean to open the door from the outside you will have to break the plank).
    Buy an oil filled radiator for heat in winter (I know I said no money so I will have to work on this).
    I have spare carpet that I can use to almost completely cover the floor

Anyone any ideas/criticisms/thoughts/
    In many ways it is the perefect space and solution for what I want.

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Kick your (better) half out to the garage and move your kit into the main room:smashin:

Oh and tell her it didn't cost you any money to do it.

Adrenochrome.

3. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    mmm........... In the interim I will carry on with the plan. Thanks for the suggestion - you don't work for relate do you?
    Had a good day yesterday clearing some of the garage. Nearly ready to put stuf in.

4. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi, i dont wish to sound like a kill joy but before you put any expensive equipment in your garage id check out the damp proof situation. do a search on this forum for 'converting workshop into theatre' etc or 'to cool or not to cool' as this has been covered before.
    good luck

5. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Menalaus

Thanks, have searched on both. I think I'm going to risk it. No signs of damp in the garage (and if there waqs it would fall within the new homes 10 year guarantee). I thinkit best to secure the garage as much as I can, get the gear in there in the summer and make what changes (re dampness, temperature etc) before it gets too cold.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Assim,

Sounds like a plan. My concern would be security.

Say one day you are enjoying the sonic delights of a DVD movie and some Tom chancer walks by thinking 'ooh, that sounds good, I think I will come back and take their kit when they are out'.

Therefore, I would be inclined to take the garage door off and brick it up, if its a realistic long term option.

far more secure.

Cap:smashin:

7. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of converting my garage into a dual function room.
    The Garage is integral and the main door is tied into the house alarm for security.
    I am bolting the three main speakers above the garage door, the rears to the back wall, projector (Barco 808) to the roof and secure dust proof cabinet for the gear somewhere towards the back.
    I am lining the room with black velvet covered panels (some insulated) having painting the walls, roof and floor to cut down on dust. I will insulate to garage door and incorporate some form of draught proofing (the door will remain in operation) with the screen on a false wall which will lower from the roof to cover the door end of the garage and the screen will have variable masking.
    All cables will run behind the panels

8. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Quadmad

Where are you getting the secure dust proof cabinet and are you just sticking the panels to the walls? I can't do anything to the garage that will stop me from turning it back easily and quickly (I wouldn't want to, we may want to sell soon). My garage roof is very high are yu doing anything to the inside side of yours?
    Haven't had time or energy to progress with this yet, spoke to Sevenoaks who said don't worry about the heat. The humidity is your only concern and it shouldn't be too much of a problem with a new build and minimal insulation.

9. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am fixing each panels with those brackets commonly used for fixing large framed mirrors - you screw half the bracket onto the back of the frame and then the other half to the wall. When removed all that would be left are the wall plugs.

The roof is the underside of my bedroom floor which the builders kindly insulated with two layers of plasterboard and plastered (something to do with fire regulations). The roof is painted black, the floor red and the walls white (that doesn't matter as the framed panels are black) which means to convert back to a normal garage I won't have to re-paint the walls.

The cabinet will be made by me (with the help of father, who is a cabinet maker). Nothing too fancy as this may attract attention - more functional looking and secrued to the wall.

The panels for the walls are made of rough cut 2"X2" with the corners glued and screwed covered by tensioned mottled black velvet effect cloth and staped on the back of the frame - each one approx 2' wide - looks a little like the pounds setup

10. khalilk

khalilk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    howdy poeples ...

Good idea making a garage into a chill out Zone .. only concern is ... wouldnt the roller door and its fixtures rattle when the movie is one ?

i think if you are moving inot the garage then leave the roller door in place but put an plasterboard wall infront of it and fill it up with sort of sound deadning materila. kit it out and make it comfy and cosy for full enjoyment ... otherwise you wouldnt want to sit there and you wont enjoy !

i'd recommend saving up and spending a little bit of hard erned difficult to come by Moola (wonga - cash) and sound proof , seal all drafts ... carpet or rug.. nice comfy two seater or whatever takes your fancy .. and away you go !

or get a partner who shares the same interest as yourself ! he he he ...

anyways .. hope it all works out for you guys .. have fun .. take it easy ... Kindest regards KK