Garage Office to Home cinema

wilwong1971

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Have looked through threads and gathered a lot of great ideas about Garage home cinemas, I struck lucky and my wife suggested repurposing the garage office to home cinema rather than doing this in the lounge :)

Although the garage needs a bit of a rethink:

a) Hoping to raise the ceiling by at least 30cm
b) block off the Firedoor to garage a relocate (so wall can be used with an AT screen)
c) soundproofing

house plan 2 windsor walk office cinema.jpg

My garage is quite narrow. Currently the office (where it will be the cinema room) has a width of 226cm.. the bare garage is 261cm .. so by my estimate the insulation process has reduced width by 35cm, my neighbour have had their garage converted therefore also insulated so only walls exposed to outside is the garden section

Question is (I'm not expert in insulation and soundproofing) is it worth stripping the office down and work on thinner + soundproofing insulation (still compliant to building regs) and also be able to use a low profile soundproofing system like Geneclip ?

I'm hoping to leave enough width to fit in 100 inch screen

thanks and any advice appreciated!

What are the wall construction? Block or wood framing?
block

Im thinking possibly putting soundproofing on the kitchen side wall instead , so should save a few inches from the cinema room wall ?

Attachments

• 3B322893-4AA0-41A9-B889-188AFE634ACB.jpeg
    3B322893-4AA0-41A9-B889-188AFE634ACB.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 41
You are going to have much more sound transmission through the frame ceiling, doors and windows than the walls. Wall to kitchen block or frame?

Block walls are great for sound isolation, terrible for sound quality. You should consider floating a layer of sheetrock with clips something like ASC IsoWall to smooth out peaks and nulls.

Also consider where your seating will be in relation to room nodes. 8' viewing distance with 100" screen (16:9) gives ~48 degree viewing angle and should be OK for bass nodes

You are going to have much more sound transmission through the frame ceiling, doors and windows than the walls. Wall to kitchen block or frame?

Block walls are great for sound isolation, terrible for sound quality. You should consider floating a layer of sheetrock with clips something like ASC IsoWall to smooth out peaks and nulls.

Also consider where your seating will be in relation to room nodes. 8' viewing distance with 100" screen (16:9) gives ~48 degree viewing angle and should be OK for bass nodes
Thank you.. I think the kitchen is also Block (the theres 8 foot ish sticking out towards the garden thats just red bricks unless theres Block behind it)

I will do a bit more research with the isowall thats good info cheers!

Look at narrow width builds here, most have gone for 92 inch screen, if I can squeeze 100 inch with an AT screen, i will be a happy man!

If my neighbour's garage has also been converted to living area (definitely along the length of my planned cinema room neighbouring wall) can I get away with having no insulation that side? and to save internal space on the exposed sides of my garage, external insulation?

That way the internal wall depth can be dedicated to soundproofing?
house plan 2 windsor walkINSULATION PLAN.jpg

Think you will need some sound proofing between you and your neighbour. In my integral garage build, I used just Genie clips & resilience bars, to save on space. Then used Gyproc plank & sound block, with Techsound sandwich between.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom