Garage Home Cinema

GOLFATHER76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

After months of thinking I decided I will convert my garage into a cinema room, especially when I see our fellow member's garage here at

http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...0-phils-17-x-8-diy-cinema-room-ex-garage.html

Excellent job wouldn't you agree !

It's not a massive room only 16ft by 8ft. But at least it's going to give me a separate room where I can enjoy loud music or movies with my family & above all we won't fill it with junk as you can see in my first picture LOL.

I will be using my old Kef 2005.3 surround system with pioneer VSX 921 amp.

Thinking of getting Epson TW6000 but haven't decided which screen I should go for but can't go bigger then 92”.

Still loads of work needs doing so I'll update whenever there is more progress. Here are some pictures.

You are most welcome to give me your feedback or advise :thumbsup:

Thanks

Sal

Attachments

• IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,667
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,538
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,381
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 1,344
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 1,366
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,318
  • IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,349
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 1,333
  • IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,432
Last edited:
hi,i take the screen will go where the garage door is ?so the garage door will be out of use or r u bricking it up? i would have used sound bloc rapid boards i,i work with these boards and they r excellent for sound barrier ,also when doing drylining, boarding the celin first makes life easyer as now u got to cut in,also this is better 4 sound. oh i no this cus im a dryliner.
look forward to seeing the procress :)

bazzarooney1 said:
hi,i take the screen will go where the garage door is ?so the garage door will be out of use or r u bricking it up? i would have used sound bloc rapid boards i,i work with these boards and they r excellent for sound barrier ,also when doing drylining, boarding the celin first makes life easyer as now u got to cut in,also this is better 4 sound. oh i no this cus im a dryliner.
look forward to seeing the procress :)

Thanks for the advise buddy, Yes I'm bricking inside the garage door then insulation then putting plaster board I think it will be hard sound to escape ;-)

Can anyone help me choosing right colour for my room, I cant decide what colour wall i should go for ?

Especially ceiling :confused:

Im looking forward to seeing this go forward, i so wish my garage was attached so i could do a conversion. Keep up the good work. Will you be in by Christmas????

Im looking forward to seeing this go forward, i so wish my garage was attached so i could do a conversion. Keep up the good work. Will you be in by Christmas????

Thanks mate :thumbsup: Love your setup as well

I still remember when you were looking for mission floor standing speakers :)

If everything goes as planned then yes I am hoping to finsih all this by end of this month :D

Last edited:
Did you inform building control you were moving your consumer unit?

Did you inform building control you were moving your consumer unit?

If you mean by fuse box then no, it's always been in the garage I just move this to the the top to tidy things up.

*But I never heard of informing building control & why would you have to tell anyone about fuse box :rolleyes:

Hi sorry to stick my Orr in you will need building regulations for conversion from garage to a habitable living space and planning permission if u intend changing garage door into window/ block.

Look forward to seeing progress always like to see how conversions go there's been some crackers on here previously

Hi sorry to stick my Orr in you will need building regulations for conversion from garage to a habitable living space and planning permission if u intend changing garage door into window/ block.

Look forward to seeing progress always like to see how conversions go there's been some crackers on here previously

No problem mate its good to share your knowledge :thumbsup:

My garage is bit different its already got door which opens in my kitchen & window on other side.
I took some more latest pictures to give you better idea what I am talking about :)

Not moving the garage door or moving any walls so I am all good :D

Sal

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 923
  • IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 893
Last edited:
I like the look of this. Where did you put all the stuff from the 1st pic, It looks like my living room.
Very good job so far. :clap:

I like the look of this. Where did you put all the stuff from the 1st pic, It looks like my living room.
Very good job so far. :clap:

Thanks mate

:rotfl: if i tell you that my Mrs will kill me :suicide:
Most of it gone in the skip & some I moved to my lovely shed.

If you mean by fuse box then no, it's always been in the garage I just move this to the the top to tidy things up.

*But I never heard of informing building control & why would you have to tell anyone about fuse box :rolleyes:

Modifications inside the consumer unit are notifiable to your LABC if you're in England and Wales.

Hi I still think. Need building regulations for the conversion into a habitable room if you google garage conversion building regulations u get all the information u only need planning if changing garage door which sounds like u ant ok that's my Orr well and truely sunk in water. I used to be a property lawyer and the amount of houses I came across without builing reg for this type of work was staggering just thought i pass this on save problems when u sell. Great job though

Modifications inside the consumer unit are notifiable to your LABC if you're in England and Wales.

Hi I still think. Need building regulations for the conversion into a habitable room if you google garage conversion building regulations u get all the information u only need planning if changing garage door which sounds like u ant ok that's my Orr well and truely sunk in water. I used to be a property lawyer and the amount of houses I came across without builing reg for this type of work was staggering just thought i pass this on save problems when u sell. Great job though

Thanks for the info guys ill look into this :thumbsup: dont want any problems in future

If you ask an electrician to complete an electrical installation condition report on your wiring - assuming it passes - any insurance company, building control or prospective buyers will struggle to give you a hard time over the changes.

Normally costs in the region of 100-150 IIRC.

Looking forward to this build :smashin:

Geps said:
If you ask an electrician to complete an electrical installation condition report on your wiring - assuming it passes - any insurance company, building control or prospective buyers will struggle to give you a hard time over the changes.

Normally costs in the region of 100-150 IIRC.

Hi thanks for your feedback, We rewire the whole house in January this year & got certificate, same guys doing the garage too so I'll get another certificate again if needed. that's should't be a problem :)

Sorry to hark on ask ur chap about building reg for conversion

Hi everyone

Yesterday I got my new setup delivered. Epson tw6000 projector & 92" optoma Panoview screen From projectpoint. very helpful people & they gave me good deal too :)

Garage more & more looking like a room now, I'll take some pictures later on.

Painting & decorating will start in couple of days.

I'm going for dark red/maroon wall & matt black ceiling colour, I know bit mad but I think it will look nice.

Sal

Hi Sal,

Nice to see your work starting. I'll be following this with interest.

Thanks for the link to my project. The other link in my signature "Phil's 17'x8'....." shows the finished project a bit better.

Colour scheme sounds spot on to me :smashin: Not "mad" at all. Go to any cinema and look at their colour schemes - always dark. As long as it's a dedicated Cinema room you've got no problem.

I think I may have said this to you before, but if you ever fancy popping round for a demo/ideas you're more than welcome seeing as though you're just down the road from me :)

Good luck with the build and keep the pictures coming :thumbsup:

Hi Sal,

Nice to see your work starting. I'll be following this with interest.

Thanks for the link to my project. The other link in my signature "Phil's 17'x8'....." shows the finished project a bit better.

Colour scheme sounds spot on to me :smashin: Not "mad" at all. Go to any cinema and look at their colour schemes - always dark. As long as it's a dedicated Cinema room you've got no problem.

I think I may have said this to you before, but if you ever fancy popping round for a demo/ideas you're more than welcome seeing as though you're just down the road from me :)

Good luck with the build and keep the pictures coming :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Phil & i have to say its all your fault, After watching your thread again & again really force me to start this mission. :thumbsup:

I love to come around & get some ideas from you so PM on the way ;-)

P.S
I edit the link

Attachments

• New Image.jpg
    New Image.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 792
  • window.jpg
    window.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 787
  • colour.jpg
    colour.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 809
Last edited:
Hey Sal

Just to say good luck with your conversion. Mine has come to a temporary standstill as I forgot to call my local building control. Anyway all sorted and hopefully will get my first inspection on friday. Looking through the thread, mfgredy is absolutely right. You can retrospectively apply for building reg approval, but its a real pain as they could in a worst case scenario ask you to dig through to your foundations etc, so its best to get it now and you do need this certificate should you wish to sell your property at some point in the future.

I agree with you that Phil.LFC has a lot to answer for - his room convinced me to have a second/third/fourth look at my tiny workshop!

Fahad

Hi Sal,

I'm also following with interest. Keep the pictures coming. Are you working on this all the time or are u doing a day job too?

James

Fahad1 said:
Hey Sal

Just to say good luck with your conversion. Mine has come to a temporary standstill as I forgot to call my local building control. Anyway all sorted and hopefully will get my first inspection on friday. Looking through the thread, mfgredy is absolutely right. You can retrospectively apply for building reg approval, but its a real pain as they could in a worst case scenario ask you to dig through to your foundations etc, so its best to get it now and you do need this certificate should you wish to sell your property at some point in the future.

I agree with you that Phil.LFC has a lot to answer for - his room convinced me to have a second/third/fourth look at my tiny workshop!

Fahad

Hi Fahad
Thanks mate
Your room looking good mate hope all goes well in friday & can't wait to see final room.
Good luck
Sal

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom