• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Garage Home Cinema & Games Room Project

tplewis

Standard Member
Evening all,

So after months of preparing, I finally managed to start my garage conversion over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend.

My garage is not connected to my house and is approx. 40 sq/m in size with a large electric over the top style door. I have used it as a make shift home cinema (among other things!) for the past couple of years, but given the walls and floor are concrete, it always get very cold during the Winter months. I have already purchased all the AV gear, so im sure you can imagine that I am chomping at the bit to get it finished.

Three of us worked all through the Bank Holiday weekend and managed to get the damp proofing, stud work, insulation and plasterboarding done. Just a few finishing touches like filling and sanding to do, then I can crack on with the painting and getting the flooring done.
Can I please get some feedback on my proposed paint scheme. When the blinds are down on the window/door and the lights are off, the garage is pretty much pitch black. Based on this, am I ok to paint all the walls and ceiling in a beige/magnolia colour, but do the screen wall in a dark brown, red or black? I was originally going to do the whole garage out in a dark colour, but given the size of the area I need covering, it is working out really expensive. Magnolia is about £40 for 20 litres in Wickes/B&Q at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Questions, criticisms and advise welcomed :)

I will update after this weekends bout of work. Some photos of my progress so far below.

How it all started:

Bitumen paint for damp proofing:

Stud wall:

Insulation going in:

Plasterboarded:

booyaka

massive room - that's going to be some size when it's finished!

shynsingh

That is a huge space, how big is your screen gonna be?
Best of luck with this.:thumbsup:

tplewis

Standard Member
Thanks folks. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into more work over the weekend.

The screen is 135" - you can see the mounted position in the last image.

dazwaldo

funnily enough i was just about to post my idea for a garage conversion and found this thread which features a double garage very similar in size and layout to mine. For me though I only plan to convert half of it into a cinema room and haven't even drawn up plans as yet. In the meantime I will follow this thread with great interest!

tplewis

Standard Member
Spent two full days on the conversion since last posting. All the jointing and filling is now done - I wont bore you with photos!

Sanding this Saturday then I can start with the painting. The walls and ceiling are going to be magnolia, with the screen wall a deep red. Lining up a dark red carpet too. Thinking off doing a red pinstripe around the room so the walls dont look too boring. Also printing off around 30 movie posters which I plan to put in A4 glass clip frames along the back wall.

Screen is temporarily up and had a test session the other night. The sound has been transformed given it can now bounce around the newly framed room. It sounds even better than I imagined.

Im going to build some storage units to put on the back wall too. Only about 60-80cm square. Will store all my 'garage' items such as snowboards, tools, bike gear etc. Keeping it nice and tidy and clutter free. I hope!

Cant wait to get it all finished now!

tplewis

Standard Member
Evening folks,

Bar a few touch ups, the filling, sanding and painting is now all done. I've cleared the room out of the sofas etc as the carpet is being fitted mid next week. I've gone for mink, a light brown/beige colour.

As you can see the feature wall is a deep red and now ready and waiting for the screen to be fitted. I cant wait to get the AV gear all set up - I'm hoping to be able to do it over the BH weekend.

Shout with any Q's. Thanks for looking.

ps Not sure about the red strip on the door, I was trying to be creative, but not sure if its going to stay :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom