Question Garage door left in place

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by maverick177uk, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,302
    if I leave my garage door in place and then screw it in to stop movement, if I then use expanding foam around the gaps what would I build in front of it to offer protection from the outside? Could I just build a timber frame put insulation into that then plasterboard? Or do I need to put breeze block in then insulation? It’s not going to be to building regulations but I want best sound dampening and obviously insulation for warmth.

2. Taffthomas

Taffthomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi Maverick177uk,
    I am at that point on my conversion now (plaster has just finished the ceiling and three walls today). I have a roller garage door (which was installed to replace old poorly fitted wooden doors). My intent is to install two stud walls, each one will be constructed of 4x2 timber (with Rockwool insulation). There will be a gap between the two walls with only the outer faces of each wall being covered with a face covering (to prevent the triple leaf effect). I intend to face cover the outer wall with a breather membrane, sturdy timber sheeting (3/4 inch ply or osb3 (the idea is that this sheet material will be place next to the roller door guides and will hopefully prevent the roller door being kicked in or forced out of the guides). The inner wall will be faced with OSB, 12mm gyproc soundboard and 15mm soundboard(as per the rest of the garage walls and ceiling) but this wall will be sandwiched together with green glue as I think this will be one of my weak areas.

I am hoping this will be sufficient to prevent sound leaking in and out.

I didn't want to build an additional internal block wall. My idea is that officially the building is still classed as a garage and will be easily put back to is proper use if we move.

I will keep an eye on your thread to see for more feedback off other members who may have a good understanding or more experience of "our" predicament - if that's ok by you?

3. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,302
    Cheers mate no problem with me just trying to get ideas of what to do