Garage converted - now try to sell the house!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by MarkusThatch, Apr 29, 2007.

1. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,948
    Couple of years back I had my garage converted and installed a home cinema set-up. Now I've just put the house on the market and the estate agent is warning that most people like garages to 'store stuff'. :( Has anyone else considered the consequences of converting a garage and how they'll fair when it comes to selling the house?

2. putbinoot

putbinoot
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well i have still not got round to converting mine because i still have not built the soddin big shed to put all the stuff in that comes out the garage. So "a" have you built alternative storage and "b" Unless the person who comes to view has always wanted a home cinema and could not give a toss about having a garage. Maybe you should bin your estate agent.

3. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,948
    Yeah my shed is crammed with rubbish that would've been dumped in the garage. 1 bloke came round to view the house and just went on about not having space to store stuff so I was saying "buy a bigger shed!".

4. sjj84

sjj84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The trouble is with a home cinema, you are limiting your market. I'd love one personnally, but I wouldn't have one in place of a garage. You'll find the right buyer that will love it, just might take a little longer.

5. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    I've had comments from various Estate Agents that converting a garage (in general) adds little or no value to the sale of a house. :(

6. putbinoot

putbinoot
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I knew my wheel out cinema design would be of use.

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    I can see how frustrating it must be Markus. Especially when most buyers will end up just filling a garage with rubbish...hardly anyone seems to use their garage to keep their car in these days.:(

When I sold my last house we got some really strange feedback off the Estate Agents and we didn't have a home cinema. TBH I think it was just that people were just too embarrassed to say they didn't like it...so they find some minor point and make a big deal of it. Unless your buyer has a classic/valuable car or is looking for a space to restore such a car, then for anyone else they just have a very well decorated store room...I don't see what the problem is (it's just a shame after your work and expense).

Maybe someone from these forums might be looking for a ready made home cinema?:) Good luck with the sale.:thumbsup:

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    Just a quick :offtopic: did you further that project or is it still in the development stages?

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    why can't they still store stuff in it?

Surely having a usable room gives you more choice rather than less?

I do miss the storage though, having converted my garage into a playroom. Definitely need a shed or something for bikes.

10. Ste7en

Ste7en
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,153
    Let's face it. Hardly anyone uses a garage to keep a car in anymore.

People would rather keep 3k worth of junk in the garage and a 30k car on the drive.

Our garage conversion has been done so it can be used as another reception room / family room / study / dining room etc. I didn't want to get into fancy lighting and stage areas etc. for that very reason.

11. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    - I quite agree. But I moved house about a year ago, and the number of people who gave the agent feedback that they didn't like it because they couldn't get a car in the garage. All I'd done was put the washer and drier in there with a bit of worktop across the top of them, hardly impossible to take out!

Maybe they just didn't like to say they didn't like my taste in wallpaper :eek:

People do like storage though, so a good sized shed would certainly go towards cancelling out any perceived negatives about the garage conversion. Yes, the garage could be used as storage, but I think folk are more likely to think of it as an extra room but lacking in storage.

Markus, the other point I'd make is it's really worth decluttering. If you have storage space, try to empty it! It doesn't look good if it's all full, as people won't believe they can fit all their gear in. So send it all round the mother-in-law's for a month or two.

Enough of my houseselling tips, sorry folks :suicide:

MarkP

12. putbinoot

putbinoot
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Still rebuilding bathrooms, and deciding if i am going to extend front of house, but it's still going to happen.

13. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    My thoughts exactly I am moving into a house next month where the garage has been split into a utility and study why would I want a big cold garage when I can make use of both of these rooms for storage if I want. As it happens I have got my eye on the study for a cinema room but it could just as easily be an additional storage area.

As has been said people don’t put cars in garages anymore it’s to tight a fit half the time!

14. Phoenix Gold

Phoenix Gold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ours was converted so the front 1/3 is still a usable garage storage. It also only cost us £500 DIY. Clearly the dividing wall can be pulled down to make a normal garage in a days work. Can't see the big issue... work on your sales pitch :)