garage conversion.....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by baz870, Dec 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. baz870

baz870
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just after some thoughts on soundproofing garage as best possible without spending heaps of cash!!
    going to build room with in a room excisting walls are single block
    i will leave 25mm gap all round outer stud walls
    studs will be packed with 75mm acoustic slab rock wool the will be two 12.5mm soundblock plasterboards maybe some acoustic foam type stuff inbetween the two plasterboards ceiling will be the same construction with extra insulation as it is a pitched roof.
    main garage door has to stay unfortunatly so i will seal and insulate tightly before studs go into place so non of the studs and ceiling will be in contact with any part of excisting and door into the room will be a solid firedoor... any good???? cheers barry.

2. s73

s73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Sounds similar to what I did except I was able to take door off, brick up then hang door back into wall so it looks like a garage still. Why are you restricted on leaving the door?

BTW planning told me I had use resilient bars to suspend my ceiling boards as they absorb more sound

3. baz870

baz870
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just didnt want to remove it as you never know when i may need it or someone else may in the future....tbh i dont expect it to make much difference as i will probaly even use soundblock board to cover the door after ive stuffed it with rockwool slabs ....my ceiling will be attached only to the new room within the garage ....also the very end part of the garage will remain for tumble dryer and clutter ! so there is a little utility type room before you enter the music room the excisting side garage door is a upvc paneled door ...was just wondering how well it will work as its one of them things you dont really know until you do it !! after ive finished it i will then clad most inside walls with acoustic tiles just to dampen it a bit more and make it sound better the room btw is quite narrow 2.5m by 6m with a ceiling height of 2.3 m .....so im hoping someone on here will tell me how well it may or may not work !!!!!