Garage Conversion

ncartwr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I am considering converting my garage into a cinema room and would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice as the optimum size for this. I have a single garage which currently measures 5.1m long x 2.5m wide. My initial thoughts are that the length would be disproportionate to the width so was considering creating a store to one end of the garage, thus creating a cinema room of 4.0m long x 2.4m wide (see sketch), would this size be okay?​

Attachments

• Garage conversion.jpg
    Garage conversion.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 872
You could get an extra row of seats in without the store room :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I would put the store at the garage door end.
Why would you put the store at the front is it possible water ingress? I did have the store at the back as this is an existing access. The garage door is an up and over type door so guess I would have to replace this with a roller type door and brick up the old access.

Hi I am considering converting my garage into a cinema room and would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice as the optimum size for this. I have a single garage which currently measures 5.1m long x 2.5m wide. My initial thoughts are that the length would be disproportionate to the width so was considering creating a store to one end of the garage, thus creating a cinema room of 4.0m long x 2.4m wide (see sketch), would this size be okay?​

My room is 17' x 8' (or 5.5m x 2.7m for you young uns ;) )

Disproportionate? No. As someone else said, it's just right for another row of seats.

Feel free to have a look at my project using the link below.

The finished room can also be viewed below.

HTH, Phil

I'd say no store. Seats just off back wall. 7.1/7.2 with false front wall/baffle with front 3 speakers in behind 98" perforated screen.

Thanks for all the advice. Now I’ve thought about it a bit more I am going to ditch the store idea and keep the room bigger. Of course that now means I’ve got some serious sorting out to do in my shed to make room for all the junk from the garage.​

I am waiting on a structural engineer to take a look at the my proposals before configuring the room as I am going to build over the garage at a later date and might need a supporting pillar for steels.:thumbsup:

Our garage conversion is the same size and i was concerned about having a long tunnel shaped room, so i divided it into a cinema room and a computer room.

I used Focal Dome speakers for the fronts which are mounted on the ceiling.

Attachments

• DSC00141.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,006
  • DSC00143.jpg
    DSC00143.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4,057
  • DSC00147.jpg
    DSC00147.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 888
  • DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,496
  • DSC00153.jpg
    DSC00153.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 831
Last edited:
This may sound like a silly question but do you have to apply for permission to convert a garage into living space??
I have a garage and could be doing something similar...

PS: Nice conversion Jonna. Can I ask where you got the fire from? I assume it's electric?
Looks real nice.

This may sound like a silly question but do you have to apply for permission to convert a garage into living space??
I have a garage and could be doing something similar...

I have just been doing the same (plasterer in as we speak ;) ). You should not need planning permission but you will/your builder will need to meet building regs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom