Garage Conversion - What will work?

TeaPot91

Standard Member
Hi All,

I'm looking to convert my garage into a multi-use home cinema. It's roughly 6mx3.3m internally with a garage door at the moment. It's an extension onto the side of the house with no room above, but the kitchen is part of that same extension. I've attached plans of the house to show roughly the current layout. I'm currently in two minds on whether to leave 1.5m at the front of the garage and build a partition wall so that can still be used for storage or to remove the garage door and build half wall/half window and make the full room a new room but a small office at the back of the room backing onto the kitchen.

I've got a 5.1 surround sound in my living room at the moment and may only put 5.1 in for now, but would be looking to at least future proof it with cabling in place for more in future if I wanted it. Based on the room being around 4.5x3.3 what options do I have for sound combinations as I'm struggling to work that out as it looks like the room sizes decide what works.

Also what cabling would I need to run? I will have a projector at the back of the room whichever way it works out and my AV kit will be placed at the back of the room.

Thanks

Attachments

• Room Plans.png
    Room Plans.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 167

ufo550

Can't see any plans? As regards storage, its up to what you want. I'm converting mine at the moment, and its difficult without anywhere to store things. So I've decided to keep part of the garage as storage. I had to have storage for four pedal cycles, as part of the original planning for my development.

Harkon321

Depends on where your seating goes in the room as to what layout will work. Your room slightly bigger than the one I am in the process of building. Think mine is 3.9m long x 3.5m wide after sound proofing.

I'm fitting 7.2.4 which you could do if seating is correct. I've wired for front wides as well, but doubt I will use. Pictures and diagrams in my build thread in my sig.

worcesternaf

My garage was a similar size to yours. A bit shorter and not as wide. My finished dims are 2.3widex 2.4high x 4.5long. I have a 7.2.4 system with a 2 seater for seating and a 92" screen.
Take a look at my thread in my sig, hope that helps

TeaPot91

Standard Member
Apologies not sure what happened to the file, I have had a little play some more and have 4 designs. One leaving the existing garage door and building a partition wall and then three with a window instead of the garage door and office/storage space.

The room now probably won't be a pure dedicated cinema room it will be used by the kids as well for now, but if I don't build an office room and only storage my desk will always be in that room even when it goes from kids using it too, to cinema. Attached the files for reference and thoughts and feedback would be appreciated on them. Width of the room is around 3100mm after soundproofing, the length dimensions are on all the diagrams. The office area would be 1700 wide, with 1300 wide for storage area.

I think I would probably look to do 7.1.2 or possibly 7.1.4, but not sure I would get two subs. Would those be possible with the room sizes? Is there anywhere that can show me how to calculate what screen size I can have and also where I should place seats and speakers depending on room sizes?

Thanks again

Attachments

• Room Plans.png
    Room Plans.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Tom @ Cinehome

AVForums Sponsor
The second drawing from the left looks to be a "big enough" office and a decent size room to use for the cinema. That would be my choice.

Two subs would be preferable to a single sub - perhaps a couple of the more compact MK Sound models (V12's) or SVS SB3000 Pro's which both have a reasonably small footprint.

Go for 7.1.4. You've got just over 4 metres to play with down the length of the room.

Any questions get in touch anytime. Thanks Tom

jont

just from a practicality perspective I'd look at using a cassette/pocket door between the main room and the office bit which will free up floor and wall space ... and maybe do the same between office and boiler room ... just a thought ...

You could possibly get two subs in - one under the screen at the front and another behind the seating position ? ... balance for MLP levels and have one out of phase and should sound and feel great !

TeaPot91

Standard Member
The second drawing from the left looks to be a "big enough" office and a decent size room to use for the cinema. That would be my choice.

Two subs would be preferable to a single sub - perhaps a couple of the more compact MK Sound models (V12's) or SVS SB3000 Pro's which both have a reasonably small footprint.

Go for 7.1.4. You've got just over 4 metres to play with down the length of the room.

Any questions get in touch anytime. Thanks Tom

Thanks Tom, I’ll look into those. Appreciate your offer of help, I’ll PM you if that’s ok as I’m sure you could help me on a few things. the second from the left I think is what we decided on.

just from a practicality perspective I'd look at using a cassette/pocket door between the main room and the office bit which will free up floor and wall space ... and maybe do the same between office and boiler room ... just a thought ...

You could possibly get two subs in - one under the screen at the front and another behind the seating position ? ... balance for MLP levels and have one out of phase and should sound and feel great !

Thanks, I’ll look j to those. I was using a folding door into the storage but a normal door to the office as I thought it would be better for sound in the cinema room as it’s a more solid door. I wasn’t familiar with pocket/cassette doors but they look like a good idea so I’ll research them a bit more. Thank you

graham14

Hi, Your third sketch to the right almost exactly matches my recent garage conversion, although slightly narrower and a bit shorter.
my garage storage is accessed via the original up and over garage door, so storage area is deeper.

My advice would be:
  • Not to have the door opening into the room, or at least move it further up the room, as this creates a pinch point restricting room width, and in my case this is where my projection wall and av unit are.
  • Use a fire door or similar as this increases soundproofing.
  • Definitely allow for soundproofing, I had a 100 mm wall created between storage area and new room from timber and plasterboard, with acoustic plasterboard on the room side face, and 100 mm thick rockwool used between upright and horizontal framework.
  • If you can afford it have a/c my room is fully insulated, and although we have a external door with high level vent, the room in summer can become uncomfortable.
  • Whatever your thoughts are on cabling allow for two feeds for any projector (in case a cable fails) and allow for a 4k projector.
  • Allow for plenty of power sockets , and spread out on all walls to allow for layout changes
  • I started off with a 5.1 system but have recently updated to a Atmos 5.1.2 set up with a Atmos receiver and atmos enabled front add on speakers. Should have given thought to future updates to speaker wiring.
Out of Interest I do not use a projector screen but project straight onto painted end wall with very good results, which gives me a full width size area.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom