1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage conversion - toilet regulations

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Stuart Wright, May 24, 2003.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,606
    We're moving house and looking to convert the detached garage 17x13 into a home cinema.
    The garage has a corrugated roof and I am expecting to replace this with a proper piched tiled roof.
    I will have to extend it slightly because I want to put a loo in there. It doesn't currently have running water or drainage and this is something which I know will cost. But it's a way down from the house and the trip to and from the house for a pee would be too inconvenient.
    Are there any regulations which stipulate that there has to be a room between the loo and the main room?
    Also as far as heating is concerned, I don't want the room to be cold an unwelcoming in the winter. Obviously an electric radiator is a cheap and easy solution. Would a proper heating system and radiator be OTT? Expensive?
    TIA.

2. terminator

terminator
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have a look at saniflo website as they do and wickes a maciator unit that use 32mm pipe for waste so all you need then is a new toilet and hand basin cold water feed you might consider a small electric water heater .save running hot supply to your garage .i used the unit from wickes for my bedroom so any problems get in touch:clap:

3. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Saniflo - now where have I heard that before ? Ah yes - Here

Perhaps it's not such a long walk back to the house :D :D

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think it depends on what the new room is classified as. if it is a "garage" then no if it is a "kitchen" Definatley need another room between, unsure about a "living room". Actually thinking about it my girlfriends parents have had one (saniflo) fitted under the stairs, off their dining room so assume you wouldn't but best to check.

5. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    One point if you do go for one of these they are loud!!! you wont be able to restart the film until it has finished pumping!!! Some insulation round the unit will help but they are quite noisy and take a while before they stop.
    Not a good idea to use it during a horror film as you may wet yourself when it goes off.

7. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding of the regulations is that you need two doors between the Kitchen and a toilet for sanitary reasons so there will be no problem with what you intand. Any toilet needs to meet building regulations so you really need to inform them of your intentions. The macerator toilets everyone has suggested may not be needed if your sewer runs from your house towards the garage as you will just need to connect to that. Otherwise if needs be a septic tank could be used, it all really depends upon your layout. A far cheaper option would be a toilet tent with chemical loo :D as it could all work out rather expensive.
    As for the heating then I think a boiler just for one small room would be overkill, if you make sure it is well insulated then i would imagine electric would be a better option.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but electric heat tends to be quite expensive, especially standalone heaters.....

ad

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You could get a small combi boiler for the HC room mounted in the loo and run a couple of Rads and HW off it. Depends if you cant add a couple of rads to the existing System and give it its own Thermostat. PS If the room is well insulated with all the electronics in their wont it be pretty warm??? So aircon is going to be need for the summer. Might be cheaper to go for an air con/heater unit.

10. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just buy a bucket,no need to even get out the chair

11. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would expect a small boiler to cost somewhere around £500 (a s/h one would of course be a cheaper option), then add radiators, water tank, pipework, thermostat, controller etc. and also the cost of running a gas pipe from the house too. I would think that the cost of installation would pay for quite alot of electric heating. If the house is close to the garage then you could pipe off that circuit but would have to ensure the boiler was up to it and insulate the pipework well unless your garden needed underfloor heating.
    Good insulation in the room will serve to keep the heat from the suns rays warming the room in summer, but equipment and body heat may well mean that cooling will be needed. I would look at air conditioning but other than portable combined units costing £160 ish I have no idea of price.
    I sure it will all be less hassle than digging out your last HC room ;)

12. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed, try a search for "commode" on Ebay and you may well strike lucky :rotfl:

edit: here you are!

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    don't forget if replace the roof, you will need to follow modern building regs. This will mean massive insulation and a small heater may be all you need when you actually use the room. I think my barn (27 x 16) will be heated by lights, I am a bit worried by those new amps :blush: Things have moved on big time, frankly I was amazed at the insulation we used in my new pad.

14. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To meet current building regs for insulation then generaly you will be looking at 100mm in walls, 250mm in the roof and 50mm in the floor. All of course subject to differing circumstances, building inspectors and construction methods. These were the specs I used in my room conversion.

15. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi there,

You don't need a seperating room / double doors between anyroom (inc kitchen) any more !!!

Cya,
    Lee

16. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Oil filled radiator or two. Cheaper than direct electric convection or fan heaters.

Or could use a calor gas heater, but the "hiss" might put you off this option.

Toilet? Unless the waste drain from the house runs under the garage with handy access/inspection points for you to tap into, I'd forget it. Honestly, just tell your guests to learn bladder control and go before the film starts :)

rich

17. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee is correct, the building regs have changed fairly recently. You no longer need to have 2 doors.

18. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
  19. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If it's a garage now and going to be a HC room wont the building regs count it as a "habitable room" and therefore be much harsher eg twin skin, insulation heating all up to much higher standards?

-Neil

20. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,606
    Thanks for all your input, guys.
    The second garage is only a few feet away and has electricity, water and waste, so I will hopefully be able to tap from those.
    The second garage is destined to be converted into a granny flat, planning permission willing.
    I'm actually up for doing the whole proper job. I've learned the hard way what can happen if you cut corners (see my website).
    So I will go for the twin skin gubbins. Lets face it, nobody wants their HC gear to get damp.