Garage conversion questions

Seventy1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will apologise in advance if I'm asking any obvious questions in this post.

My house has a garage built underneath it which is quite large, it has 2 rooms and 2 floors (The ground floor is in good condition, but the floor above between the garage and kitchen is in a really bad way). At the moment the garage is only accessible externally.

I'm wanting to make the following changes:

• Remove the garage door, brick it up and add a window and door
  • Add a staircase from my kitchen to the floor above my garage and then another to my actual garage.
  • ....then obviously convert it to a dedicated cinema room :)
I live on a terraced block of houses and the other end terraced house has actually converted their garage into a 2 floor flat, which is where I got the idea, but instead of a self contained flat I just wanted to increase the living area in my house by 2 floors. On the deeds it stated the garage is for storage only.

I've never done anything like this previously so I'm after a bit of guidance on what I need to do in regards to applying for permission.

Many thanks in advance and if I can do it legally I will be posting a thread on here :)

David

Not an expert but I think this will be of some help...

Planning Portal - Garage Conversion

I think you'll be ok so long as you comply with building regs AND get planning permission, which is your responsibility. I guess this is easier is someone is doing the work for you.

This sounds a lot more complex than a simple garage conversion tbh as you have (potentially) several rooms over two floors. For this i think you should get professional help from either an architect or surveyor as your going to need detailed drawings for planning and the building warrant. You could even try asking the people in the end terrace who they used and where they happy with them.

I agree it does start becoming complex if you are adding a staircase and should get architect involved - they will also be able to give you advice as they should know some of the local planning requirements.

Replacing the garage door should be allowed but if others in the area have done similar then they should allow yours.

Before I started mine I just called the planning office with my questions and got some advice from them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom