1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

garage conversion or not?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by fish, Feb 24, 2003.

1. fish

fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking to turn garage into h/t-hi-fi room.Size will be 15x8ft when complete,is there anybody who has already done this conversion and found problems with size.Or have you wished you went bigger.ps rooster NICE CONVERSION.

2. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi fish

Those dimensions are almost exactly the same as my garage. I'm just underway with the conversion, and I'm pretty sure that the size will be fine. A couple of times I've sat on the sofa in the cold, empty garage and tried hard to imagine what it will be like. Bit sad, really :rolleyes:

It might be a good idea to "mock up" the stuff that will be in there (like using a sheet or something to mimic any walls you need to build) and that should give you a (very general) idea. Get some chairs in there to, so you have an idea of the desired seating position.

v.f.

3. fish

fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    v.f cheers for that.Will try that later.Just worried that my speakers(mission 752) & rel(150)would be a bit OTT in such a small space.But what the hell.

4. Tonto

Tonto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fish,

Rooster has done the garage conversion thing .

http://www.btinternet.com/~anthonyreilly/

(Rooster, hope you don't mind me mentioning this).

Arrrgh !,,, just re-read the end of the first post !!!!!!!

5. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    fish my room is 8.5ft by 17.5ft and although i could have made use of more space it is more than adequate. One thing i wanted that i ended up doing without was a 3 seater reclining sofa but decided it would just overpower the room. ....Go for it.

6. fish

fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well rooster. Thats good to know, I will go ahead and get some building quotes,(brickwork only). Had sofa in there myself today,looks that your right.2 seater it is KEEP YOU POSTED FISH.

7. OBI-1

OBI-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fish / Rooster -

My garage is also 8' x 15' approx. Once all the dry lining and boxing in of meters / fuse board etc has been done, I will end up with about 8' x 12 1/2'.

still waiting for quotes from southern electric to move the 240v service cable so I can cut in the new doorway from the house to the garage. Also STILL waiting for quotes from builders and electricians.

With any luck work might start by Christmas!!! ( and they wonder why tradesmen get a bad name )

OBI-1 out.....:mad:

8. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    rooster do u mind if i ask how much such a conversion cost?

cheers
    fraggy

9. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Costs for building work was £2500 which included

Joiners Fee
    Electricians Fee
    Plasterers Fee
    Plumbers Fee

Flooring, plasterboard, insulation, switches, and all other materials. So not too bad.

However and this is where you could save, I spent

Projector £2150
    Lights £100
    Programmable Dimmer £180 (Allows up to 20 "scenes" to be selected at touch of a button)
    Carpet £250
    Tables £350
    Chairs £225
    Prog Scan DVD player £150
    Cables £150

So all in roughly £6k. Was it worth it? You bet it was. Watching movies on the big screen at home is awesome.

Got a very funky electric screen for nothing off my wifes uncle So that was a bonus

10. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current listening room (not garage) is exactly 15"x8" and works very well, using B&W standmounts and Mission sub. A couple of extra feet in width would have been preferable for greater speaker seperation, but that is only a minor quibble.
    Don't recommend a 3-seater though :nono: , otherwise u will be climbing over it to get on it.

11. fish

fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers cookiemonster.Looking now to extend garage by 2ft(wide) subject to permission etc,and cost.otherwise size stops as it is. cheeers fish