Garage Conversion Home Cinema. Dolby Vision & Atmos.

Rizvan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

thought I would share the latest photo's of my Home Cinema. The home was a new build which I had the garage converted (too narrow for modern day cars). I have split the room into two sections using a black out curtain and used the smaller area for a study.
The remaining area is for my home cinema which measures around 3.4m wide by 2.5m deep.

Equipment as follows:-
LG OLED 65" C8 Screen (Dolby Vision)
Panasonic DP-UB820 4K UHD Player
Samsung HW-N950 Cinematic Soundbar (Atmos)
The rest of it is fancy LED's and decoration.

48957750656_3983b0867c_c.jpg

48957750521_c9aa42de86_c.jpg

48957749936_4cfc0c62a4_c.jpg

48957200223_a393709c1a_c.jpg

48957750131_752bfbac89_c.jpg

48802397681_1e1df617e6_c.jpg

47844918652_aac001fb12_c.jpg

33883541458_60e94b3297_c.jpg

33775587488_9f72d51239_c.jpg

Nice room mate. I love the lighted up movie posters, where did you get them from?

Hi love the room, my dimensions are almost going to be the same and I’ve decided to do what you’ve done in going width ways instead of length, do you think a bigger TV would be better or is 65 enough for field of vision?

Looks great! Rizvan, is that fibre optic star lights in the ceiling, if so how did you end up putting them in the ceiling after being plastered?

Very very nice. One day when I settle in a place I'll make a dedicated room.

Where did you get your sofa from looks good

Just a quick update.
I upgraded my sound bar recently to the new LG SN11 RG, the Atmos bubble was pretty epic however I was having quite a lot of problems with it.
My LG HW-N950 also has a few issues (mainly HDMI sync) and I had already sold it before I decided I was sending back the LG for a refund.

This got me thinking.... and I decided to put function over the visual aspect of the room first and go down the route of a AVR + 5.1.2 speaker setup. :D

Additions to the original equipment as follows:-

Denon AVR-4500H

L - Jamo D6LCR
C - Jamo D6LCR
R - Jamo D6LCR
LS - Jamo D6SUR
RS - Jamo D6SUR
Sub - Jamo D6SUB
Atmos L - SVS Prime Elevation
Atmos R - SVS Prime Elevation

I will still have 4x unused Jamo D6SUR speakers as I feel going with any more speakers will be too much for the room.

Nice job bud.

The question is, does it sound better than your old sound bar? 🤔

Nice job bud.

The question is, does it sound better than your old sound bar? 🤔
Oh yes.... its amazingly good.... even when watching standard 5.1 content, you can hear a lot more and the bass is pretty epic. lol :D
I performed the Audessy EQ setup and it's worked great so far.

I think that sound bars will always have a place in the market as they do serve a purpose, the latest Atmos bars are astonishingly good for Atmos effect / bubble etc but lack the impact of a conventional speaker and amplifier setup.
Ultimately you can't beat conventional speakers due to the larger drivers etc, the compromise is that you end up with big speakers everywhere and a A/V rack like my room. :D

It was inevitable mate that you’d get a massive improvement. Years ago I had some jamo d5 (I think) speakers and they were great.

But like you said, sound bars have there place, I have 2 in my house, but for true surround sound, speakers and separates will always win.

Nicely done

Hi Rizvan

Great looking room and I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

You are probably the perfect person to offer advice on a problem I have been struggling with for a couple of weeks if possible?

similar to @maverick177uk as we are about to convert half of our garage
(unsure how Maverick’s solution worked out?)

We will use the new room width ways as you have resulting in a new room 4.2m long by 2.4m wide so slightly longer and narrower that yours.

The hardware will move from our spare bedroom setup but I am concerned my 65 OLED will be a bit too close and similar to sitting on the front row at the cinema but 55 will be too small and not immersive and would feel like a very expensive downgrade.

I had a projector at our old place and installed the biggest screen that would fit and my fist movie made me feel sick as I was too close, after buying a new screen 10” smaller it was perfect but when you have 100” it’s easier to loose 10” than when you start with 65”

Am I stressing about nothing?

Hi Rizvan

Great looking room and I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

You are probably the perfect person to offer advice on a problem I have been struggling with for a couple of weeks if possible?

similar to @maverick177uk as we are about to convert half of our garage
(unsure how Maverick’s solution worked out?)

We will use the new room width ways as you have resulting in a new room 4.2m long by 2.4m wide so slightly longer and narrower that yours.

The hardware will move from our spare bedroom setup but I am concerned my 65 OLED will be a bit too close and similar to sitting on the front row at the cinema but 55 will be too small and not immersive and would feel like a very expensive downgrade.

I had a projector at our old place and installed the biggest screen that would fit and my fist movie made me feel sick as I was too close, after buying a new screen 10” smaller it was perfect but when you have 100” it’s easier to loose 10” than when you start with 65”

Am I stressing about nothing?
Great news on converting your garage and 4.2m x 2.4m is still a decent size, one thing you will have to do is have your sofa right on the back wall, 65" is perfectly fine and I have zero issues at all, the size is just right.
With having the sofa on the back wall it mean there was no real room for back surround speakers, so in the end I have gone for a 5.1.2 configuration, however I could potentially add another pair of SVS Prime Elevations for rear height speakers. :eek: D

Stick with 65", remember that most movies have black bars too, so you will lose some screen estate.
OLED is simply amazing...... and now I have the sound system to match the picture... I am a big fan of Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Let me know how you get on, word of advice, put in all your cables and extras.... and do not get cheap un-certified so-called official Ultra Speed HDMI cables.
I had so many issues with HDMI cables, in the end I bought the expensive Belkin Ultra cables and all my issues vanished. :)

Perfect that was the answer I wanted and thank you for your advice on HDMI and rears.😁

Our couch is currently back against the wall in the bedroom space and I have managed to put the play ones in the corners at ear height
This layout will be replicated in the new room.

I compromised my full amp & speaker setup when we moved house and bought the full Sonos ARC 5.1.2 package and while it is a compromise I am very happy with the sound from both ATMOS & 5.1 the aesthetic look is much cleaner too plus my family have never had ask how to turn it on!

This room is awesome - thanks for the idea of the car star projector, I've just ordered one for my room.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom