Garage Conversion - Awkward Room Shape Suggestions

coolsimont

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to convert my garage into a home cinema.

There is currently a study next to the room, so it is possible to make it one big room by removing the wall or keep it as two rooms. The boiler is currently in the corner of the garage but needs replacing so could move into study if better for the layout.

The room layout is proving quite problematic namely with regards to placement of the seats, rear speakers, and projector screen.

Aims:
  • Ideally, I'd like to have 2 rows of seating in some form (but not sure if possible)
  • I'd like to achieve 7.2.4
  • Acoustically I know there several elements in the room that aren’t going to be ideal (windows etc), but it is a compromise for the aesthetics of the house outside/inside and to leave potential to repurpose the room in the future
  • If possible, a bar in the room would be a nice bonus
  • I could also keep the study as an office if one big room isn't viable
Cinema-Template.png

Rather than influence anyone thoughts with my ideas I was hoping for some suggestions.

I think my post was too vague, so I've added two potential options.

Option 1: 1 big room

Complications:
  • Where to place rear speakers (on back wall at strange angles, side wall angled inwards or ceiling speakers)
  • Distance to back wall from listening position (Will the sound be terrible especially with the angled wall etc)
  • Boiler will probably need to be moved into top right corner of room

Open-Room.jpg

Option 2: Two rooms with double door

Complications
  • Double door between rooms (How much trouble with this cause acoustically)
  • Viewing distance (What size projector will be viable?)
  • Additional seating (How to get more seating as no room for two rows)
  • Boiler again will need to be moved to back right corner of room
2-Room.jpg

Have I posted this in the wrong place?

Really hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

What about having a partition across the back behind the second row? Could have some on/in walls for rear surrounds and it would give you a wall for rear sub placement. In the room behind created you could have an equipment rack etc.

Ypu would also potentially have a longer room to allow for a baffle wall , AT screen and speakers/subs all hidden behind at the front.

Ive edited your pic but its only some thoughts out loud. No right or wrong way.
Open-Room.jpg

Yes thanks for the idea. The issue might be the surround speaker placement due to where the room narrows and the closeness to the wall of the second row. You'd also potentially start to have access issues with seats blocking the entrance.

Maybe if the room was flipped so the screen is at the top end on the new wall, but then you'd have a 3.8m wall for the screen/speakers.

Yes thanks for the idea. The issue might be the surround speaker placement due to where the room narrows and the closeness to the wall of the second row. You'd also potentially start to have access issues with seats blocking the entrance.
I would worry more about the MLP over the rear row.
Maybe if the room was flipped so the screen is at the top end on the new wall, but then you'd have a 3.8m wall for the screen/speakers.
What sort of screen size you looking at?

120 or 110 might be viable I think. If one room then I guess 110 might just be
be possible.
Flip it round then so the screen is on the newly created baffle wall?

Equipment could go down in bottom left then?

Lots of options really. Wish i had all that space

Thanks for all the help so far.

I'm now thinking to keep it as two rooms with access from the door in the hallway. I've amended the room to account for interal reduction with walls (plasterboard etc) leaving a workable space of around 4.75m (15.5") *4m (13").

New-Option.png

• I'm hoping to squeeze in two rows and possibly a 110-inch display with the front viewing distance around 2.7m and the rear at around 4.5m. Is this viable, or might i be better sticking to one row and using bean bags/bar seating for a second row.
  • Other complications include the window that will be behind the motorized screen (will get blackout blinds), but is this an issue?
  • There is also a small garage-type window on the bottom wall (1.5m height to window ledge), so would this pose any challenge with surround speakers?
  • The back row is up against the wall (not ideal) and it won't be able to recline (but hoping to put reclines in the front-row), but i was focusing on the MLP in front-row.
  • Looking at the room it probably makes sense to flip the room around, but there is a waste pipe on one side which will need boxing in (maybe 40cm and may limit screen width/front speaker placement). While, also you'd then have a window on the rear wall (not sure which is better window behind screen, or window on rear wall).

Attachments

• New-Option.png
    New-Option.png
    835.6 KB · Views: 39
For me that front row would be too close. I sit Roughly 3m form a 92" and it feels pretty immersive.
Some people like to be closer but it personal preference.
I would tape the screen size out on the wall and place a seat and see what you think.

I'd either do what worcesternaf said with squaring off the angle in the study, or if you don't want the hassle of knocking the wall out, stick all your AV kit in the study and just have the projector in the garage above the door to the study.
Projector screen in front of the existing window and wire for speakers etc.

Okay thanks!

So we reckon it is better to put the screen on the wider wall? That would give room for 4 seats easily, but would give less distance to the screen. Do you the screen on the wider wall would be better or worse for sound?

Okay thanks!

So we reckon it is better to put the screen on the wider wall? That would give room for 4 seats easily, but would give less distance to the screen. Do you the screen on the wider wall would be better or worse for sound?
Why are you putting a new window in?

I think keeping the viewing distance longer is better. Sat @ 3m for 110" is gonna look pretty big.

I would just look at how many places you can place subs opposite corners/wall midpoints etc

What are you looking at speaker wise?

Why are you putting a new window in?

I think keeping the viewing distance longer is better. Sat @ 3m for 110" is gonna look pretty big.

I would just look at how many places you can place subs opposite corners/wall midpoints etc

What are you looking at speaker wise?
With regards to the window it is for future-proofing the room as to other uses (e.g. a bedroom) and also to make the exterior of the house look better. If there was no window it'd be one long brick wall running alongside the entrance to the house. The front-door is directly next to the proposed new entrance to the room btw. The existing window is on the front of the house (there is already a bedroom above). Is the window causing layout problems (I know it may cause sound reflections/ light issues)

I havn't really got to the stage of thinking about speakers, but in-wall or low-profile speakers are an option I'd consider if required. I already have one BK ELEC P12-300 sub and will likely pick up another.

Only quickly reading this, but the point about fire escape windows should be noted, if your having to have a building notice etc.

If escape from your garage is via another room, you'll need a 'fire escape window' to comply with Building Regs (England & Wales). If you have one room, the existing might be suitable. Two separate rooms, then a new window might be required.

My motorised screen drops down in front of a double window and its not an issue. In fact it helps having the screen away and the window available to almost give the room a dual purpose. I've fitted a blackout blind and curtains and almost no light gets through

Looks great.

Since this post a few other dilemmas have surfaced, but nothing that can't be overcome (hopefully).

Firstly, I i think I can put ~5 foot 2"-(1.6m) riser at the back for the non-reclining seats (seating 15cm out from back wall). The back seats would be accessed from raised steps at the side with the reclining seats pushed back against the riser in the middle area where the steps arn't.

But the challenge now is the height of the riser as I think the ceiling height will be around 2.2m (7 foot 2 inches). A 12-inch riser would work, but it would be a little cramped for taller people, but I'm not sure a 10-inch riser would be high enough (there will be around 1.1m between head positions between rows).

Secondly, I am new to REW, but I put the room dimensions in the room simulation (4.75*4.05*2.2m) and it looks as though the best subwoofer locations are the two corners on the rear walls. MLP ~2.95m and SLP at ~4.55m. Is that correct, or I misusing/misreading the tool?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom