1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Conversion Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by benmc, Oct 9, 2003.

1. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All

I am going through the stages of planning a Garage conversion and I have a number of questions.

Basically we have a double length garage (9m) running along the side of the house. It is attached to the house with a door from the kitchen about 3/4 of the way along.

The Cinema room will be formed from the following walls

Wall with house (Double skin) - I will batten this wall insulate with rockwall and single skin plasterboard

2 further walls - Single skin brick - Batten out, vapour barrier, insulate and double plasterboard

The final wall will be built from Breezeblock - Batten out, vapour barrier, insulate and double plasterboard

The floor is presently concrete and about 70mm below the kitchen. I think I am going to put joists in, insulate and the board up.

I want the room to be a permanent feature and to feel part of the rest of the house. To achieve this I need to make sure it is as warm as the rest of the house. I have seen people here use Rockwall slabs for insulation or shall I use regular insulation that you use in the loft?

I do have one important question.

The width of the room is fixed, the garage is 2.5m wide presently and I think I will loose about 15cm to insulate and plasterboard. This would leave a room 2.35M wide.

The ceiling will be normal height (2.5m?)

SO the question is what length to make the room.

I would like to leave the front half as a garage so when we feel the house we do not have a problem. So I was going to leave 4.2M for the garage giving me a cinema room of about 5m x 2.35M when finished.

Are these good dimensions?

The plan is to get a builder to do the blockwork, floor and window and then I will do the plasterboard etc.

Just wanted to check that these plans sounded good? Anything else I should include or do.

Regards

Ben

2. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    *** BUMP ***

Any ideas or thoughts?

Ben

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
  4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ours is a garage conversion with the cinema room at the front and the kitchen extended into the back of the extension. Its the same width as yours, about 2.5m and about 4m long. I would have liked another metre so I reckon with 5m to play with you'll be sorted. Heres some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    Do a search for X3ELS garage conversion. You could also PM him for advice. His is pretty nice...

Gordon