• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Garage camera options - no wifi

OakMaple

Novice Member
I moved in with a friend and his brother about 3 months ago. My friend is the homeowner. Recently they have had friends over and things have gone missing/broken and nobody wants to fess up. For example, the cold sided handle on the bathroom sink is missing/broke off, and nobody seems to want to admit that when they used it, it broke. It's a cheap sink so if it broke It most likely was an accident. There have been other similar instances, as well as we think one person stole some simple belonging from a fellow friend while at our home. Just tell the truth people!

I found a few nice options on Amazon for hidden security cameras for my space inside the home that can connect to WiFi. These will work for that space.

What I need is options for the garage. I have a classic car and if anything happens to it I know that nobody will admit it! So I need video cameras. Problem is, the garage is 10ft away from the house and has trouble getting wifi all the way. I'm hoping to find options that I can use in the garage, whether it has an insulated cord I can wire in through the house, or something with a powerful antenna that can connect to the wifi.

Preferably the camera has night vision, motion detection, and stores the tape for at least a week. Not looking to spend a ton of money, I need something simple that works.

Any help is appreciated, I never had to worry about this in the past!

Fabien

Sounds like any system you put in place will just show evidence after the event (when the damage is done)

Covert cameras are only covert until you use footage as evidence, then people will work out that you have them and where they are.

Long run it would be cheaper to move out!

Fabien

OakMaple

Novice Member
Sounds like any system you put in place will just show evidence after the event (when the damage is done)

Covert cameras are only covert until you use footage as evidence, then people will work out that you have them and where they are.

Long run it would be cheaper to move out!

Fabien
Thanks for the advice! The goal is once someone is caught, the camera may not be covert anymore, but the people involved would not be coming around anymore. The homeowner agrees. I still would like a camera system in place for the garage no matter where I live too. Plus, rent would triple if I go anywhere else.

I also have renters insurance & classic car insurance. Having video evidence would be in my favor for receiving compensation.

Fabien

As opposed to getting a WiFi camera with an antenna, maybe get a directional antenna for the router to get coverage for the garage.

There are many ways to address your situation.

Connectivity ....
Ubiquiti point to point external antenna
PoE Outdoor class CAT 5 cable to both power and stream from camera

Cameras ....
Many to choose from. Either motion detection through image (Hikvision) or PIR motion detection (Blink XT2)

Fabien

John

Maybe extend the wifi with a mesh network ?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom