1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaps - why?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Pecker, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,361
    I'm not wanting an argument about whether or not to go Sony - that's a valid discussion in itself, but that isn't what this thread is about.

My question is, why hasn't the problem of gaps with mp3 on HD players been sorted yet?

Surely it's not impossible to have some sort of small buffer which can ensure that the machine reads ahead if it's playing an album so that the transition between tracks is smooth.

Portable CD players costing way under 100 beer tokens have 20 and even 40 second memory chips for shock protection, so why on earth can't HD players costing twice that eliminate a gap of less than a second?

Steve W

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's a buffer issue, more to do with the MP3 technology itself. What WMA, OGG, et al's excuses are, however, I don't know ...

3. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recon, MD's and diskmans are gapless so why can't a supposedly more advanced music player play gaplessly....apart from atrac....sony probably do it on purpose to make you use atrac.......even though I would use it because of its better quality more than gapless.

What I think would be better than a million years of skip protection is the ability to skip to the next track WITHOUT starting up the hard drive and reading the next 25 mins AGAIN. If the next song is already buffered then why can't it just jump to that song if your press skip without accessing the hard drive.....that would be soooo much quicker and save even MORE battery.

But yeah back on the gapless topic.....i can't believe someone would consider releasing a music player that couldn't play gaplessly.

4. DrNic

DrNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its all to do with the way MP3 files are encoded. THe frame size of MP3s and the way that they are filled means that the frame HAS to be completely filled, irrespective of whether that is with data (ie music) or silence. You may notice that some "transitions" are more-or-less gapless with MP3 these have nearly complete frames with music.
    It is really a limitation of the encoding. Using alternative encoding is really the only way to ensure gapless, but software can be used to "workaround" this - as most desktop media players do. Why portable players can't workaround the issue, I don't know...
    FLAC is a lovely open source truly gapless and lossless compression technology - but lets not make this thread into a encoder issue!!

Nic

5. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I bought a Vaio Pocket just about a year ago and after realising it couldn't play gapless I complained to Sony. Sony confirmed that loads of people moaned about the issue and 3 months after buying it Sony provided a firmware upgrade which allowed the Vaio Pocket to play all MP3's PERFECTLY SEAMLESS.

I don't understand why a Sony DAP that is 1 year old can do gapless playback, but the latest HD5 can't. Makes no sense. It is clear that there is no communication between the various departments in Sony.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow!

Come on, Sony - let's see a firmware upgrade to fix this, too!

7. batesym

batesym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read an article on the web about daps, the gist of it is that the people who design the software dont understand what they are trying to achieve. The notion of playing tracks in order (from the album) which apparently the Toshiba Gigabeat had trouble doing had not crossed the creators minds. Article can be found at http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1707

On a more positive note - I recieved my hd5h today. Slighty concerned by the flimsy usb/ charger flap. But generally impressed by the look/feel of it.