gapless playback from external drive

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by rlewis1966, Jan 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rlewis1966

rlewis1966
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking at getting a new laptop which will only have a limited hard drive size. So I want to get and set up a NAS drive to store my >2TB of Flacs. I currently use Music monkey for playback at the moment. I use bluetooth from my laptop to send the music to my arcam blink/amp. My question is... will I get Gapless playback using a NAS? as this is an essential requirement. Are all NAS drives the same? Sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    Yes I can't see a problem. If you're software already does gapless playback to your satisfaction then simply accessing music in a different file location (the NAS) isn't going to change that.

What may make a difference is if instead of accessing the NAS as a network drive on the laptop you switch to using a server like UPNP/DNLA on the NAS but from what you describe this isn't the way you plan on doing it.

3. rlewis1966

rlewis1966
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks....that's reassuring...just a question of which nas to get?

4. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Never heard of Music monkey . Do you mean the MediaMonkey player for Windows?

5. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    True enough, though that'll only be because the player itself has some issue with gapless when streaming from a UPnP/DLNA media server.

I think I'd best qualify this in case anyone gets the wrong idea:
    Gapless support under standard UPnP/DLNA has absolutely nothing to do with the UPnP/DLNA media server and is completely provided by the interaction between the UPnP/DLNA player (aka renderer aka streamer) and its UPnP/DLNA controller.

So in the specific case of the MediaMonkey player being used as a UPnP/DLNA player with its built-in UPnP/DLNA controller, ie, using MediaMonkey's own playback functions to stream and play music files from a UPnP/DLNA media server - gapless support has to be provided entirely by MediaMonkey. This (apologies for repeating myself) has nothing to do with the 'dumb' UPnP/DLNA media server, which is merely supplying the music files as and when requested by MediaMonkey.

6. rlewis1966

rlewis1966
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes its mediamonkey for windows sorry about the confusion

7. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    I'd agree with you normally but I have had experience of gapless not working with one server but working on a different server. Never did work out why.

8. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Yes, we usually do agree - so you've really got my attention on this one!

As long as we're talking about standard UPnP/DLNA here, then gapless support intelligence is always provided by the interaction between the UPnP control point and the UPnP renderer. Specifically the control point sends the renderer a SetNextAVTransportURI action, while the renderer is playing the current track, just after the renderer has started playing it. The SetNextAVTransportURI action contains the address on the media server of the next track in the playlist. This gets the renderer to ask the media server for the next track before it has finished playing the current track, so that renderer can perform its gapless memory buffer magic by seamlessly stitching the beginning of the next track to the end of the current track.

So assuming the media server isn't misbehaving by unexpectedly transcoding the audio file track into a format that the renderer doesn't support for gapless, then the only explanation for the above process to fail is that either the renderer doesn't ask the media server and/or receive the data for the beginning of the next track from the media server in time or for some reason the media server just can't provide data from one track at the same time as providing data from another track.

Can you remember what renderer and control point you were using and with which media servers was gapless working and not working with them?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  9. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    No I don't recall the client. It was before I discovered the Joy of LMS and Squeezeboxs So a long time ago. I have a feeling it was the first NAS I ever bought which was an old Buffalo NAS and whatever the default server was on those. This was before Buffalo NASs came with Twonky as manually installing that was the solution.

10. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,322
    Why even bother with DLNA in this case. The OP is using a laptop - just map a drive letter to the NAS - the software won’t know that the content isn’t local - it’ll behave exactly as it did before it was offloaded.

11. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    That was my original suggestion before we got sidetracked with my weird historic issues.

12. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Indeed. Apologies to the OP for going off topic.

13. rlewis1966

rlewis1966
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Well I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a Western Digital 4TB Mycloud drive. Initially it didn't work, I was getting gaps between the songs (pink floyd & live albums) So re-reading the above I switched off UPNP/DNLA and mapped the drive instead. The result was no more gaps! I don't understand what UPNP/DNLA is, but I'm really happy that it now works as I wanted it to. Cheers everyone.