Gapless from BubbleUPnP

McTrucky

This might be the wrong forum, but hard to know where best to pitch this question as I am trying to use a PVR as a streamer...

Does anyone know if a Humax Aura Android PVR with embedded Chromecast plugged into my AVR with HDMI will give Gapless playback using the Aura as the renderer? If I go direct to the Pioneer SCLX77 AVR via Bubble, the sound is good but I have gaps. If I cast to the TV (with embedded Chromecast) I get gapless but lower quality audio (which plays over ARC back to the amp).

Last edited:

McTrucky

This might be the wrong forum, but hard to know where best to pitch this question as I am trying to us a PVR as a streamer...

Does anyone know if a Humax Aura Android PVR with embedded Chromecast plugged into my AVR with HDMI will give Gapless playback using the Aura as the renderer? If I go direct to the Pioneer SCLX77 AVR via Bubble, the sound is good but I have gaps. If I cast to the TV (with embedded Chromecast) I get gapless but lower quality audio (which plays over ARC back to the amp).
Complicating my own question... I read that Chromecast can not render gaplessly. So I am assuming that when Qobuz plays via the TV, it is not using Chromecast, but is using an embedded app. Maybe the PVR (also an Android device) will do the same. Anyone know?

larkone

Distinguished Member
The easy answer is to use HiFiCast (Google Paly Store) to stream as that will sort the gapless issue with Chromecast. However it requires the stream to go through a tablet of phone to create the playlists that allow gapless. Whether you can make that work on the Aura is another matter.

Cebolla

The easy answer is to use HiFiCast (Google Paly Store) to stream as that will sort the gapless issue with Chromecast. However it requires the stream to go through a tablet of phone to create the playlists that allow gapless.
Unfortunately, the Hi-Fi Cast app doesn't support Qobuz (or any other proprietary secure online music streaming service for that matter), so there's no way of getting it to build a playlist of Qobuz file tracks for its Chromecast gapless playback workaround function.

The Hi-Fi Cast app can only build playlists from your own music files (either stored locally on the Android device or over the network via a UPnP/DLNA media server) or from internet radio streams.

The only methods I know of that use a similar Chromecast gapless playback workaround and also support Qobuz, require the use of another networked device (computer or NAS) to run the required helper application(s) on, so not so 'easy', ie:
  • either, a networked device (Windows, Mac & Linux computer, including the Raspberry Pi, or some NASs) that you can install & run the latest version of the Logitech Media Server on, with both the Chromecast Bridge (making sure its special "flow" option is set) and the Qobuz 3rd party LMS plugins enabled & configured. Control on the Android device would be via a web browser or an LMS controller app;
  • or, a Windows computer running both the BubbleUPnP Server helper application with its Create a DLNA renderer function set for the Chromecast device and the foobar2000 music player with both the foo_out_upnp (provides the UPnP/DLNA output device options for all the UPnP/DLNA streamers on the network - so including the Chromecast device's DLNA renderer created by the BubbleUPnP Server, which you should then select as foobar2000's output device) and the foo_upnp (with its UPnP renderer 'server' set, ie, 'server is started') plugins installed. Control of foobar2000's UPnP renderer on the Android device would be via a Qobuz supporting standard UPnP/DLNA controller app, such as BubbleUPnP or mconnect Player. If you're feeling particularly adventurous (and have followed all of this so far :)) you could create an OpenHome renderer for foobar2000's UPnP renderer on the BubbleUPnP Server and control that instead with a Qobuz supporting OpenHome controller app on the Android device, such as Linn Kazoo or BubbleDS or even BubbleUPnP again (also supports controlling OpenHome devices).

Last edited:

Cebolla

Complicating my own question... I read that Chromecast can not render gaplessly. So I am assuming that when Qobuz plays via the TV, it is not using Chromecast, but is using an embedded app. Maybe the PVR (also an Android device) will do the same. Anyone know?
No, the official Andoid Qobuz app will only see the Aura as a Chromecast device. You can't currently use the Qobuz app to control another Qobuz app's built-in (private) player installed on another networked device such as the Aura as an Android TV. So it can't be used in a similar way to, say, the Spotify app - all the Spotify app versions come with a built-in Spotify Connect player which can be controlled by other Spotify apps on the network.

You could instead try to see if you can install the Qobuz supporting BubbleUPnP app on the Aura's Android TV and set its gapless supporting built-in (local) player to be available on the network, as either a standard UPnP/DLNA streamer or an OpenHome streamer - so you can use it with a (third party) Qobuz supporting standard UPnP/DLNA controller or OpenHome controller (see end of second point in my previous post for list of apps, includes rather ironically the BubbleUPnP app :D).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom