Gangster Squad Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Despite an ensemble cast to die for, all coming out with Tommy guns' blazing, Gangster Squad is closer to a cross between Dick Tracy and Sin City than an honest attempt at capturing the glory of Brian De Palma's classic cops-vs-gangsters flick, The Untouchables – the movie which this so clearly desires to prove a successor to.

That's not to say that there isn’t some fun to be had in watching this stylish period ensemble actioner; but just go in with suitably corrected expectations - you'e not going to get anything true-to-life here (despite the frustratingly inaccurate "inspired by real events" bookends to the story), nor much of any great substance. Just throwaway, cliched dialogue; insubstantial, stereotypical characterisations; painfully predictable plotting; and frivolous action sequences. You won't particularly care for any of the characters and you won't get swept up by the...

Read the full review...

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
I really enjoyed this Cas and appreciate your honest opinion in the movie write up.
This dropped through my letterbox on Saturday so haven't had the chance to watch the disc as yet but hopefully by the weekend.

Steady 7/10 for me as well. :thumbsup:

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
I did enjoy Gangster Squad, despite being irritated something rotten by Ryan Gosling's choice of accent, but I agree wholeheartedly with this review.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom