Gangster No 1

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
:eek:
What an excellent film
Malcolm MacDowall was brilliant, and Paul Bettany, playing the younger "Gangster" pulled out an excellent psycho turn as the young hood rising through the ranks in late 60's London. It's also got the closest thing I've seen to disturbing violence in years.

And to think it was only £6.49 at Play:eek:
bargain.

James45

Standard Member
Wow hadn't seen that price!! damn good film... very disturbing in places. McDowell is absolutlely horrible (in a good way) as the older gangster. And Bettany was genius. I loved the bit where he went after Jamie Foreman's character, but took off his shirt and trousers so he wouldn't get blood on them. Sicko!
Think I'll go order this.

buns

Banned
It is the sort of film that genuinely deserves an 18 rating.....that is rare in my view

ad

I bought this at full price and I dont mind at all. An excellent and truly disturbing film. The deleted scenes are very good too.

I believe it is coming out in a triple pack with Sexy Beast and The Limey, these are also terrific films and for 15.00 a real bargain.

M

mr chadwick

as mad as paul bettany is in gangster no1 i did find that ben kingsley was ****ing terrifying in sexy beast.maddest bloke ive ever seen in a movie.

and as for the limey,that rates up there with traffic as being one the worse films ive ever seen.:mad:

Originally posted by mr chadwick

and as for the limey,that rates up there with traffic as being one the worse films ive ever seen.:mad:
Really:confused:

I would say The Limey was my favourite of the three, a very moving story about a father/ daughter relationship. I also liked Traffic a lot:p

But I do agree with you about Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast, he could talk me into anything.

buns

Banned
Originally posted by mcmullanbrush
Really:confused:

I would say The Limey was my favourite of the three, a very moving story about a father/ daughter relationship. I also liked Traffic a lot:p
i thought limey was rather pants too.....

ad

buns

Banned
Originally posted by mcmullanbrush
Come on then ya bastards, I'll take the lot of ya:mad:
from a safe distance i'll chuckle away!

I like sexy beast too, but gangster no.1 has to be the definitive film if you want to see violent sadists and scare yourself s***less at the same time.

ad

encaser

I really enjoyed The Limey - accent aside - in its simplistic style, some rather tasty acting and a nice slice of dark humour. Sexy Beast is also a decent film which doesn't go all Yank on you and try to go too far. As for scary villains, I thought Ian McShane was more of a worry, in more ways than one:eek:
Yet to see Gangster No. 1 so I'll go for the treble. Sorted;)

James45

Standard Member
Sexy Beast, Gangster No.1 and The Limey last... I found it a little bit of a pretentious pantomine, thought it would have been better played straight rather than Stamp's arty acting workshop and Soderberg's film school direction (i find it hard to believe he made Traffic which to my mind is an absolute masterpiece).

Ben Kingsley and Ian McShane made it believable that Ray Winstone was afraid of them... enough said really. Go and watch that bit where Ben Kingsley is talking to himself in the mirror it is utterly spell-binding!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom