1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gangs

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by bobbles, Jan 11, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got back from seeing Gangs Of New York

Pretty good, but it does look like the story has been hacked, the plot goes a bit manky near the end

Quality performance from Daniel Day Lewis I think he will be picking up a gold statue in a couple of months

There are also some well dodgy continuity errors you would have thought Marty would have put them right since he had almost 2 years in post production

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really want to see this, but I doubt I will get to the cinema for it.
    I will wait for the Directors cut DVD which, according to most reports, will be about 35 minutes longer than the theatrical release. I hope this film makes a profit because I enjoy most Scorsese films.

3. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also went to see this tonight. Visually very stunning and some parts are done really well, especially all the fights sequences and some of the moral issues. If you don't like blood or excessive violence then don't go and see Gangs as there is plenty of both. Also the Irish and the Blacks get a rough deal with loads of racist comments in the film which I am sure was true of the time and situation. Really slows up in the middle and the end is a bit of a let down. This could of been a classic but it is unfortunately fairly middle of the road, worth going to see though and not a bad start to a year that promises much from the cinema.

7/10

Also agree Daniel Day Lewis is very good in it and should pick up the Oscar.

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went to see it tonight but the 8pm showing was all sold out :(.

Wasn't all bad though as it gave me an excuse to go see The Two Towers for the 3rd time.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 35 min cut to the theatrical release might explain why the story looks like it's been hacked a bit.

6. mieville

mieville

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wish I'd gone to see this again instead of Gangs,
    have to agree with all that has been said about
    Daniel Day Lewis though. Visually it looks good
    but apart from the opening I found it boring and
    tedious.

Mieville

7. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,196
    Hi,

Saw Gangs last night, yeah, it was ok, really was disappointed in it, every reviewer was hyping it up to be a epic, etc.

But it was ok, it was a member here have said, to slow in middle, a bit choppy.

It did not feel like a epic to me, it was all based in one area, and i was disappointed, leonardo grew up so quick!!, unlike something like 'Once apon a time in america', where the kids are in it for a hour of so, then they grow up to be the main stars, so with this, a grand epic scale was lost.

Also the cutting of the film was really funny at my cinema, in someplaces, frames were missing in one or two scenes, like those old charlie chaplin movies, maybe this was meant to be?.

Daniel D Lewis was excellent.

ta

rai