1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gangs of New York - Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by CarlB, Jun 14, 2003.

1. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Have to report that the running time of the movie hasn't done any favours in the PQ department. The edge enhancement is totally appalling, the picture looks fine on close-ups, but any mid to long shots look far too processed and suffer terrible halos.

This was on a 42" Panasonic plasma, fed by a Denon 3800 - I'd hate to think what it looks like on bigger screen or projector. Happily I received Once Upon A Time In America at the same time, where the decision to spread across two discs reaps the expected rewards in PQ, I have never seen the film look better.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the film were spread on two disks, you'd still have the edge enhancement problems. The two are not related.

I think edge enhancement is less common on PAL than NTSC disks. Certainly I notice it far less.

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    No, the two are sometimes related. When a film is heavily compressed, it is a common misconception that boosting the EE will make the picture 'better'. The heavy MPEG compression leaves the studio looking for other ways to improve the picture so they seem to dial up the EE a notch to re-introduce those 'crisp' edges.

4. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Apparently the region 2 release will be spread over 2 disks but the soundtrack will be DD 6.1 EX rather than 5.1 & DTS.
    It's probably best to wait for a proper comparison between the R1 & R2 releases.

5. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Bizarrely, the R1 is actually split across two discs as well (much to my surprise), so I don't really know why they had to add so much EE. I haven't looked at the extras on disc two, but I don't think there were too many to account for such a poor picture.

I have just taken a fairly revealing snapshot from a scene in the movie which shows how bad the EE really is on this disc. As the file would need to be less than 300 pixels to fit on this forum I can't really post the image, but if anyone is wondering then I would happily mail it to them so they can decide before purchase.

6. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Heres is a quote from a review by DVDFile

They usually pick up on the smallest of EE on a DVD :confused:

Paul

7. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yep, I read their review this morning, and also the review on HTF which mentions only a 'small amount' of EE. However, my plasma is ISF calibrated and I'm sure it's nothing in my display chain as I watched NARC the same day and there was zero EE on that movie.

Like I said if you'd like to see a screen shot, untouched, then PM me your mail address and I'll send it.