Gangs of London Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Episodes 1-5 were superb. Some of the best TV I've seen. Went off a cliff after that. Really bad last third.

I really enjoyed this, though it's daft as hell. Hope they do a second series.

Thanks Cas.

My favourite episode is the seige on the house in the sticks, very reminiscent of Skyfall, and really enjoyed the series from start to finish. As expected though, it didn't look too clever in Sky PQ wise.

Thanks Cas good review, as i am tight i watched it on Atlantic in what looks like 240p. I would give it a 10 for action as i thought is was truly outstanding. Story an 8, title a 1, i nearly didnt watch it for that reason alone, but glad i did.
Picture quality on Sky Atlantic sd a justifiable 2, pacing very uneven so a 4. Looking forwards to season 2, must try to find an old vhs/betamax machine to record it onto it might make skys abysmal broadcast quality a little better.

@Casimir Harlow At the beginning you say this is region free, at the end you say it’s locked to region B - might want to give that an edit!

I watched this on NOW TV Boost and thought the quality was ok. I really liked this definitely saw an interesting side to London and my Dad lives very near Green Lanes so when I go for a kebab this has given me a different perspective on that. I hope they do a season 2 as well. This with Young Pope is one of the better watches on Sky.

Not having Sky, I'd not heard of this, and it sounds interesting. However, I will, be waiting for the blu ray price to drop before considering a purchase.

I thought the uhd downloads via sky on demand were superb...

Agree, the PQ for this on Sky was very good. Really enjoyed the series too. It was a breath of fresh air, something different, a little mad at times, but absolutely great entertainment. Definitely looking forward to an almost guaranteed season 2.

It certainly was exquisitely choreographed and ultra violent, but that's all it was. The story was complete balderdash.

The attack on the house was epic as was all the action TBO, but of course it would be. I'm not sure Sky actually watched this before airing it! The violence was beyond anything I've seen on TV before. Bit like when Channel 4 bought the rights for some WWE PPV's and the first was one of the most violent ever and had an OAP ex wrestler getting her baps out. It's got censored to hell after that.

But just like The Raid 2, good well paced story telling is not something Gareth can do very well. I'll watch the 2nd series for sure, but it's needs a better story at a better pace.

When I watched on TV the black levels were quite grey. It never really went black and the black borders were grey on my oled. Is it the same on the bluray

One of the best things I've seen on TV. I watched it on Now TV and the quality of it was OK, but not great. It will nice to have a bump in PQ and surround sound for those gunfights.

I actually showed my dad the siege in episode 5 and the pub brawl in episode 1 earlier this afternoon to show him how good I thought it was, and he simply said "you do like your gore, don't you son ?"

When I watched on TV the black levels were quite grey. It never really went black and the black borders were grey on my oled. Is it the same on the bluray
Where were you watching it from? I had the same thing when watching a certain ’source’. Now TV was fine though.

Where were you watching it from? I had the same thing when watching a certain ’source’. Now TV was fine though.

Could have been that tbh, I watched some on TV and some from a certain source.

I eventually signed up to now tv with boost just to see this show. The grey blacks issue was resolved, but the PQ was still a bit crap.

Yeah I might pickup this bluray!

Good to great set pieces. Story wavers but then I blame Michelle Fairley. She seems to muck up most things the more she's in them like a curse.

I just pre-ordered (released tomorrow on Amazon). Love a bit of grimy Brit violence!

Good to great set pieces. Story wavers but then I blame Michelle Fairley. She seems to muck up most things the more she's in them like a curse.

I've not seen her in anything except this. I thought she was excellent.

Thanx for the review Cas :D
Looking forward to the DTS Master 5.1 as I found the TV audio lacking.

Thanks for the review Cas,

Some great moments in this show, I especially liked the fight scene with the gypsy and at the house in the countryside :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom