1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by D J C 197, Sep 6, 2005.

1. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi all, :hiya:

I am after abit of advise re gaming. I understand that this has propbably been asked 1,000's of time before but i have read through alot of posts and cannot find the advice i'm after. Im also after a quick reply. So please dont flame me :rolleyes:

I have recently bought a TH37PV500 and am aware of the running-in process.
    I have noticed from other threads that people are posting pics and stories of playing video games on there sets. I would like to know how long it is considered safe to minimise the risk of getting any burn in. I previously had a 28" Sony 50hz tube with my Xbox connected. I have not yet connected my Xbox to my plasma because i have only viewed 50hours of TV/DVD (no bars/logs etc) but am missing not playing my games. I know i have got to wait for at least another 50 hours to break in the set but i would feel better if i knew i was safe to play the Xbox after that.

Could anyone with a PV500 Plasma offer some advice as to how long i can play a game for uniterrupted. Before upgrading to the plasma, i used to game for probably about 2 hours per night, on average. Sometimes when a new game was released (ie Forza) it could be up to 5 hours. But on other ocassions when i get bored of my games, i can go weeks without playing any games.

Im really looking forward to my Xbox 360 but am slightly concerned as i dont want to overdo it and burn my new pride and joy. :confused:

Please put my mind at rest. :lease:

Thanks to you all. This seems to be a great informative forum.

2. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DT....gr8 to see you are keeping the run in going....keep it going for about 200hrs and then treat your tv just like a CRT and enjoy it for what it is meant for. My daughter plays games on my tv and I dont worry about time...she will normally use it for about 2 hours to as I do with films with the bars....I think the most important thing is to do what you are doing right now and run the set in...IMHO and from the gr8 info found from others on this forum that is the most important thing you can do to minimise the possibility fo screen burn/retention now or in future. I dont think we have had a game running for 5 hours but I would not worry now that my screen is ran in to leave it that long (I have the 42pv500)...and in any case its easy to take a 5 min break and let the screen rest if u were concerned. By all means play games even though you are running the screen in...just no 5 hour marathons lol (just use common sence and dont keep static images on to long).....just keep the run in going, make sure you have each input set correctly as they all have their own settings and dont use Dynamic mode (forever if u can live without it) and you should have no probs ...ps here is a very useful site that makes interesting reading about screen burn and retention... http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p.../273087528Pioneer DTV White Paper - FINAL.pdf

3. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks Lionheart.

I will definately keep the run in going. I am aiming for 200 hours which should take me another about 3 weeks before i get there. I am puposely watching more TV than i used to so i can speed up the run in process. I dont feel to comfortably leaving a dvd looping for 24 hours or so at a time so i'll do it the long winded way :boring:

I changed from Dynamic as soon as i got the set. I am currently on Cinema mode with contrast and brightness at about 35%. Colour is at about 50% and sharpness about 40%. IMO the picture was just to bright and glarey (spelling ?) on dynamic so it didn't bother me changing.

That link is a very good read. Judging by that I should not really be concerned. I mean 48 hours on a game menu. I see there was image retention but that went after normal viewing. WOW!

Once again, thanks for the reply. All advice and personal experiences are very appreciated. :smashin:

4. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    I've had my 42PV500 for 2 months and have never had the contrast set that low, I think you should raise the contrast to 50%/brightness to 40% the single biggest thing you should do with this set is take it out of dynamic mode instantly and you've done this, I now wouldn't worry about image retention just enjoy the TV.

Every single night i get in from work my kids have either left the sky plus 'programme has ended' logo on the screen or the xbox is still showing the shrek 2 game screen.These could have been on for hours and whilst they leave temporary image retention it has always disappeared over the next hour or so.

I've been playing Ghost Recon:summit strike for hours on end this week and the ammo counter deffo leave's image retention but it goes away so I wouldn't worry about having some serious gaming sessions on it.

5. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Cheers Korum.

What are other members' opinions? Are my brightness and contrast levels too low?

Love browsing the forums. There are some excellent pictures of some superb set ups.

6. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I only just got my Hitachi 6600 at the weekend and the Xbox was one of the first things I plugged in!

I did notice that the Xbox menu left some image retention but again this cleared pretty soon after 'normal' use.

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Just plug it in a play away, as long as you are playing and the contrast isn't over 50% you should be fine for a few hours a night, just don't leave on any menus.

8. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Cheers for the replies.

I'm probably being over cautious, but rather be safe than sorry.

I'll let the hundred hours go by then have a couples of laps (or so) of Forza. I will probably turn off most of the HUD static images at first. Unfortunately that means no rev counter so i'll have to revert to using auto but i think i can live with it until i've clocked up a good couple of hundred hours. :)

9. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I don't have that exact same plasma, but i didn't run in at all. Just set up some decent looking settings, and got PGR2 straight on there! I think you're being overly cautious... and you just spent nearly £2k on a screen and you're not enjoying it!!! Boot up the Xbox TONIGHT :)

10. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    :rotfl: LOL

11. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Craig,

Have you experienced any kind of image retention playing PGR2. TBH playing this would worry my slightly in that there is a static image in every corner of the screen, i.e speed, lap, kudos, revs etc.
    THere is also no option to turn any of it off. How long do you play this game for without any problems?
    Thanks

12. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    You will be OK for a 2 - 3 hours with the HUD on, because at the end of every race you go back to the lobby anyway.

If you are still worried just flick back to normal TV for 5 mins every so often, when you get yourself a beer or something :)

13. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Longest i've played on PGR2 is probably 1.5 hours, but between each race there is always a totally black screen, and the menu fades up to a totally white screen for a few seconds as well- which should help allay your fears. I was also worried about the big bright white K at the top right, but that goes totally red when you hit a wall :)

14. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Ahh, Of course. I'll be fine then! :D