Gaming upgrade - graphics card and monitor....advice needed

Barbs

Novice Member
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade a Dell Dimension 5000 to get more mileage out of it for gaming (FPS mainly...BF2, and the up and coming MoH AA, QW, COD4...).

I posted the main PC spec on another thread and they recommended upgrading the GPU as my main option.... so now what to get?

I have a 6600gt oc, and was considering a X1950 pro or 7900GS/7800 GTX... or even a beefier X1950XT.... are these my best options for the sub £100 mark?
Do I need to plump for DX10 at this stage?
and more importantly will they run on my rig? I believe that the Dell Dim 5000 has a standard 305W PSU.
Or ..... is it worth spending money on this rig at all?

ALSO:
I'm keen to upgrade my monitor from a Dell ultrasharp 17"... any recommendations (sub £200!).

Thanks.

Barbs.

Spec:
graphics: BFG 6600 GT OC, PCI-E
psu: 305W
monitor: Dell Ultrasharp 17"
CPU: P4 3.0 ghz
Ram : 2 Gb

Barbs

Novice Member
Ok - I have been hunting around and I have narrowed the cards down to probably one of these:

7900GS or is this any good (great price :smashin:)
X1950 pro 512Mb

What I don't know is if one of these will work in my setup (above)?

Also - I am would like a 22" ws panel (again for gaming) - any suggestions?

:lease:

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
As long as you go for a single slot card you should be fine. However, you may need to go for a better PSU to power the X1950Pro (not sure about the 7900GS).

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi Barbs, I was in a similer position to you and managed to pick up a second hand 7950GT 512mb 2nd hand for £75 on these forums. It may be worth checking the trading threads, or even posted a wanted one up.

Barbs

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies - I was impatient and ended up getting the 7900GS (2nd hand for £46 :smashin:). It arrives next week so I will know soon enough if I need a new PSU or not....

... on the other dilema, any suggestions as to a new monitor (22" ws) to replace the current 17" Ultrasharp that I have? I have checked the other threads and the Dell and Samsung names seesm to appear quite a bit, but which models?

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
... on the other dilema, any suggestions as to a new monitor (22" ws) to replace the current 17" Ultrasharp that I have? I have checked the other threads and the Dell and Samsung names seesm to appear quite a bit, but which models?

The first stop should probably be to read the two 22" round-ups, the first at behardware and the second at x-bit.

Then it's a case of seeing exactly what inputs, price point you are looking for and hopefully narrow it down.

Barbs

Novice Member
The first stop should probably be to read the two 22" round-ups, the first at behardware and the second at x-bit.

Then it's a case of seeing exactly what inputs, price point you are looking for and hopefully narrow it down.

Thanks for the links to the 22" monitor reviews - they are excellent and not that easy to find with simple googling. Considering the amount of questions on this topic, decent reviews like that should be put on a sticky...Mods?

Now all I need is a new PSU to support the 7900GS :eek: The 305W one in my Dell Dim 5000 is just not up to the job! Another thread here I go.....

badbob

Banned
Instead of getting a 22" 1680x1050, I would get a higher quality 20" 1680x1050.

Seems current 22" are using cheaper panels (Samsung especially)

Barbs

Novice Member
When you refer to a cheap panel - is this the TN panel? If so - is this really that bad or just bad for viewing angles? I will be using it soley as a monitor so I am not bothered about viewing angles.

I have read around on the perceived issue with Samsung using S, A, C panels in the 226BW model - the X-BIT article posted by Tejstar, actually reviews the different Sammy 226bw panels - an interesting read. Sort of seems to conclude that there is little difference after the test....

Right now I am torn between the 22" Dell and the Samsung 226CW.... I'd love a 24" but do you see the cost of those puppies :eek:!!!

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Now all I need is a new PSU to support the 7900GS :eek: The 305W one in my Dell Dim 5000 is just not up to the job! Another thread here I go.....

If it helps I replaced the PSU in my Dell to a Corsair HX520 to power a X1950Pro. However, a Coolermaster igreen 500W would be good enough (and cheaper!)

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
When you refer to a cheap panel - is this the TN panel? If so - is this really that bad or just bad for viewing angles? I will be using it soley as a monitor so I am not bothered about viewing angles.

It's not bad, just not ideal if you are into graphic designer/video work. Viewing angles are an issue but in terms of the price you pay, they are great value for money and superb for gaming given their low response times.

I have a 22" TN Samsung 226BW and there is no way I would downgrade to 20" personally. I do use my monitor head-on though, so viewing angles are less of an issue for me.

Barbs

Novice Member
If it helps I replaced the PSU in my Dell to a Corsair HX520 to power a X1950Pro. However, a Coolermaster igreen 500W would be good enough (and cheaper!)

It does help :thumbsup:.

I have heard great things about the Corsair PSUs - and for £60 that can't be bad. Is it quiet?

I was considering a OCZ gameExtreme 600W PSU for around £60 as I have heard that they will fit the Dell Dimension 5000.... but if you have already plugged in a Corsair that looks like an option :D

badbob

Banned
If you're doing video work and graphic design you want one with accurate colours, and calibration is a must.
Don't know if the TN excel in that area.

Barbs

Novice Member
If you're doing video work and graphic design you want one with accurate colours, and calibration is a must.
Don't know if the TN excel in that area.

For me it will be purely to enhance gaming...... at this stage getting a xbox360 would be cheaper and plug that into my plasma :rolleyes:

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Well in that case you wouldn't go wrong with a TN panel, the response times are the best you'll get compared to a S-IPS/S-PVA.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom