Gaming TV

Dan_McKeown

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've used AV a lot in the past for classifieds, but this is my first post in a forum actually asking for advice and so on, so apologies if I overlook a forum rule or posting etiquette with this topic!

Basically I've decided I want to buy a new TV at the end of the summer. At the moment I have a Samsung LE26R87 (Samsung LE26R87 - 26" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV - With: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo) Which has been ok, but I always wish I'd waited and gotten a bigger screen, and as well as that, I've not been blown away by the quality, I often find it too dark or washed out, even after playing around with the options.

Anyway, Im trying to find a good compromise between a respectable set, whilst making an increase in size. I know that sounds obvious, but I've noticed that some larger TV's seem to look far worse than mine when playing games, so I don't want to make a sacrifice in quality just for the sake of size if that ends up being the case

The set will exclusively be used for playing Xbox and PS3 on, so I've no real interest in it having any extras like being Freeview ready, etc. I've set myself a vague budget of around the £600ish mark - I've (perhaps naively) decided I might be able to get about £180ish for my old TV and then I could save over the summer. Still, I really don't know what that will get me, so I'd be slightly willing to evaluate that, although being a student, I can't go wild!

Woah, that's ended up being an essay, should have just written "Want an amazing TV for 600 quid to play games on"

Cheers people!

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The ideal gaming TV's are Panasonic plasmas, they have very low input lag.
Panasonic TX-P42X20B 42-inch Widescreen HD Ready 100Hz: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-T...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277090359&sr=1-2

Most of the major LCD TV's have input lag, though this depends if you can detect the lag easily or not. If your the type who doesn't notice the lag, I would look for Sony EX503 or Samsung C650.

I personally may get a Panasonic D25 LCD TV as it has okay input lag, though my monitor has a huge amount of lag and I play my 360 on it. So I've gotten use to the lag.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks man, thats really helpful.

What are the key differences between those 2 TV's that makes one almost £200 more though?

There is dedicated threads for EX503 and C650 in the TV forum. The Panasonic link I posted is only 720p. Amazon have a 42" G10 2009 plasma at £630, it has the full works 1080p, freesat etc.

The EX503 and C650 are pretty much the same feature wise.

If specifically for gaming rule out the c650. I have one and the input lag makes it pretty poor for gaming. Smashing tv for everything else though

if that was directed at me, then not a lot i'm afraid, i only gave an opinion on the c650 as i have one, never seen that sony model, sorry

Thanks for all the advice guys. When Im looking for input lag, is that something I'll just have to find from reviews, or is it actually some sort of measurable aspect of the specifications?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom