Gaming TV. Samsung UE40F6400 or Sony KDLW42653A (or suggestions!)

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by womble9, Aug 28, 2013.

1. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Morning all :)

Well my trusty Samsung LE32M is finally up for retirement and I'm in the market for a new telly which more than anything will be used for gaming.

360 / PS3 / Wii and inevitably in time, one of the next gen machines are gonna but put through it and from time to time I may get out the Dreamcast, Cube or even Snes so I need to show a little thought / consideration to SD picture quality too. Size wise both of them are fine and I'm not bothered one bit about 3D (nor sound as I have a separate set up) so out of the two which would be the better set?

Oh and if there's another set in the similar size / price range (say up to 47" & £700 ish tops) that I've missed out on then please feel free to point it out to me :).

Edit: Just seen the Panny LE42E6 too which I also like the look of!!

One other thing, I know that many modern TVs allow me to connect my iphone to them, can I do that and then play my music from my iphone to the TV and have that coming out of my amp (via the HDMI), that would be really handy!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    136 views and no one's got any advice to offer?!?

3. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  4. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Ok, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Guess seeing as I'm planning on using it for a good few years then a couple of days reading up won't do me any harm eh :).

5. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Indeed, plus proper demos somewhere other than Currys or Tesco :)

6. VEGACORTEZ

VEGACORTEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    The F6400 is too laggy and the sony W6 has hardly any lag 7ms. Other models you could consider are the samsung F5000 16ms lag, the 46" would be pretty cheap and big. The samsung F6800 has more lag (above 16ms but below 30ms, not got an exact figure) but still within a decent amount. It depends on whether you want mid range but smaller or lower range and bigger for the money, would you play pc or just consoles or use the tv for other usages at all?
    By the way those older consoles are going to look rough. Plus the dreamcast and gamecube (uk version i presume) are going to need very good video de-interlacing as well.
    Have you considered trying to get a 42" panasonic ST50 plasma, if there are still any around. It has great upscaling and video de-interlacing plus no blur for your snes 2d games etc and the lag is only 16ms.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Console gaming more than anything (I've got a VGA lead for the DC and the Cube is a US / Jap one with a component lead) with the odd bit of tv watched (of which I'm really quite easily pleased quality wise) and no PC gaming at all. I found HDTV Tests website yesterday and have been reading up on loads but I'm pretty much none the wiser to be honest!! I've ruled out the Samsung so it's looking like it's going to be either the Sony or the Panasonic with them both having had great reviews, being within my price and size bracket (I could go bigger but I'm only 9 ft away so it seems crazy to or to spend more money) and both of them come with a 5yr warranty from J.L too.

Oh just one other thing when I called my local Richer Sounds the guy recommended going for a Philips PFL7007T saying that it was a great panel at a bargain price. Any thoughts?

Ps. Having just watched and read a couple of reviews of the TX-P42ST50B that's now also on my list, arrrrggghhh :)!!!

8. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Ok so having had a good look around I can't find a P42ST50B but I have managed to find a P42GT50B at a fair price.

Anyone got any thoughts whether that would be a good buy over the LE42E6 (my heads spinning with all these numbers and codes!!)?

9. VEGACORTEZ

VEGACORTEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Okay,
    First off, sony W6 vs the panny lcd. The sony hammers it for input lag and has a motion option in the game mode to make the motion resolution like plasma but it dims the image and has a few slight ghost trails on certain high contrast edges, but is a good option for some people at least it is an extra option. The sony though has fairly average video de-interlacing for your dreamcast though. The sony also has good viewing angles for an lcd and it supports rgb 4:4:4 in the games mode for for a crisp picture on consoles and pc. Out of those two the sony would win.
    As you are playing consoles games which run at 30fps or under you really need that low lag as at that frame rate the games own lag is higher than that of a 60fps game anyway, no need to make it worse.
    I presume you are not interested in the cheaper samsung F5000, it has slightly better video de-interlacing but worser viewing angles than the sony and it's motion enhancer offers less motion resolution increase but has decreased side effects? The 16ms lag is still great on it. Plus you could afford the 46" model.
    Regarding the gt50 plasma it does not look as good an option as the st50 as the lag is higher. I would forget plasma then.
    9ft viewing distance, wow, i sit 4ft to a 42"
    Edit:
    Regarding your dreamcast i think scart would have to suffice as i don't think many tvs have vga now.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  10. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks for your advice.

Ok so it looks like it's going to be either the Sony or the Panasonic lcd then. If I'm honest I've not even looked at the Samsung, my heads nearly fried from looking at tellys non stop for the last two days!!

I know the Sony has better (than pretty much anything it would seem!) lag but is the lag of the Panasonic at such a level that it would actually prove top be a problem as if I'm honest I do prefer the look of it (the TV that is, NOT the lag!!)?

PS to give you an idea as to how much better pretty much any TV is going to look to me, the new set will be replacing a 9 year old Samsung LE32M51BX so I'd imagine (read hope!) that either way I'm going to see quite an improvement!!

11. VEGACORTEZ

VEGACORTEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,
    I checked and the panasonic 42" E6 has 34ms vs a crt and as i said the sony only has 6ms, to me i could really feel that, maybe 6 vs 16 would be tougher to tell as i have had 16ms tvs before and they are great. Over 30ms does not sound good and as there is a better option available it makes sense to have that. It's not like the sony has poorer image quality either. But in the end it's up to you what you want to do. Hope you are happy with your purchase whatever you decide.
    Regards

12. shepy

shepy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm also looking for a new tv, I have had my sony kdL40v3000 6years this December.
    It's starting to get a black line down the left hand side ( thought Sony would last a bit longer or is that good?), so was thinking of a Samsung or LG Tv??

13. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Uses for the TV. I'd buy Samsung over LG purely on perceived quality and reported failings on LGs (weak blacks, banding, blur) but depends what size, model etc

14. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    A big thanks to you guys that answered / helped out and today I went and grabbed the Sony :).

Really was oh so close between it and the Panasonic but in the end I saw a Sony with a silver bezel (lovely, far nicer IMO than in black) and two of the pannys that I saw (out of three) had bezels that weren't fitted right / didn't mate up on the corners (v odd, and rather noticeable too).

Call me fickle but I guess it's just the same as going for one over the other that can process something 10ms faster ha ha!

Happy viewing all :)