Gaming TV recommendation: Samsung Nu8000 ($549) or Q70R ($1200)?

Samsung Nu8000 ($549) or Q70R ($1200)?

• Samsung Nu8000

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Samsung Q70R

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

kc44135

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm kc44135, and I'm new here (this is my first thread in fact). I have been doing a LOT of research into TV's, and come to the conclusion that Samsung is the best for for a gaming oriented set. No need to worry about burn-in like OLEDs, and much better and more advanced gaming features than Sony, like Freesync, and low input latency Motion interpolation. Which brings me to my question of which Samsung TV to get.

So, the Q70R is unquestionably better from all the research I have done, but the question is how much better? I have found a Nu8000 at Sam's Club for $549, which seems like a good deal, and is less than the half the price of the Q70R. How much of a hit to picture quality would that be, considering it isn't QLED and the local dimming supposedly isn't very good? It still has everything I want otherwise.

Also, a matter of some concern is some kind of "auto-dimming" bug. Supposedly, it happens in a variety of content, and makes the screen dim when there are a mix of bright and dark elements are on-screen, such as subtitles appearing during a dark scene, which then makes it dim. From what I understand, this is something specific to the Nu8000 because of it's poor local dimming. some have suggested to me to avoid the TV outright because of this issue. Anybody ever notice this or have any issues with it?

I can't speak to the Nu8000 but I got my Q70R a week ago and fired up my Xbox ONE last night for the first time and it was STUNNING. I played Red Dead Redemption and Witcher and both looked simply outstanding. Responsive, beautiful. I'm by and large a PC gamer but the Q70R made me want to play my XBox more.

I can't speak to the Nu8000 but I got my Q70R a week ago and fired up my Xbox ONE last night for the first time and it was STUNNING. I played Red Dead Redemption and Witcher and both looked simply outstanding. Responsive, beautiful. I'm by and large a PC gamer but the Q70R made me want to play my XBox more.
Thx for responding, am strongly considering it!

It comes down to affordability. The Q70 is far superior - it’s backlight control is eons ahead of the NU.

If you can afford the Q70 then it wins hands down

It comes down to affordability. The Q70 is far superior - it’s backlight control is eons ahead of the NU.

If you can afford the Q70 then it wins hands down
Well, turns out there are some hidden costs with the Nu8000. Gotta have a membership with Sam's Club to even buy the thing, and would have to pay whatever it will cost for their premium shipping option so the delivery guys can bring it up to my Apartment. Don't have to do either of those things with a Q70 from Best Buy, so the difference is now like $400 between the two. I think I could stomach that for a big bump up in picture quality.

Just want to think on it a bit more, but if this is the TV I'm going for, the only question left is... Is this the right time to buy? It's currently $300 off MSRP. Would Black Friday or any other random sales offer a better deal? Hmmm...

@Jayhok Assuming you ended up keeping your TV, have you tested Freesync with it in any games? Heard of some people having weird issues with it, specifically on Xbox, like ghosting and odd green/white trails following characters as they pan the camera? Notice anything funky like that with it on?

Last edited:
I've mostly been making sure I like it from a movie and TV show streaming stand point. I have an Xbox ONE X, which I've played a couple of times now, and have experienced no issues. As I mentioned previously, my gaming experience has been nothing short of outstanding. Playing my XBox on an 85-inch QLED 4K HDR TV with freesync has been nothing short of amazing.

For what it's worth, I watched a LOT of stuff from a lot of different sources over the weekend as my evaluation phase is coming to a close in a couple of days and I'm keeping my Q70R. Its issues are minimal and nothing I've not been able to address. No deal breakers.

All in all it's a fantastic TV for the money, giving me my what amounts to a movie theater in my house that I can also play games on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom