Gaming tv 40 to 50 inch £500

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by cricket2, Aug 10, 2013.

1. cricket2

cricket2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a tv mainly for gaming and watching sport at a max of £500. I've seen the Sony W653 but reviews on this site don't look promising anymore so want other options.

Thanks for any help.

2. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Panasonic TX-P50X60B for £400-£430........

If you can get past the fact it's 'only' hd ready, then you'll find its a damn good tv for the money.

3. cricket2

cricket2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Issue with that is for newer consoles, 720p won't be the best will it so it's not very future proof?

4. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    My 1080p xbox kinect looks great! Not sure about the latest ones that are appearing soon/now.

With your budget you will have to choose between a smaller screen that's full hd or a bigger screen that isn't.
    And that would depend on viewing distances I guess......

5. VEGACORTEZ

VEGACORTEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,
    An HD ready is useless for 1080p gaming and i mean true 1080p of the PS4 etc not upscaled 720p as per the XBOX 360 etc. I should know as i have an HD ready plasma and a sony W6. True 1080p on an HD ready plasma looks awful on gaming and is not worth considering although like the other guy said the older PS3 and XBOX360 do look pretty good on these HD ready tvs. It really is impossible to have a tv that is best for 2 jobs at that price. Sport will look best on plasma or an expensive lcd with excellent motion options like a sony W8 or W9 but this will cost you more than a W6 costs and over your budget. The W6 is the best tv for gaming as it's cheap, has only 7ms of input lag and those more expensive lcds will only have there motion options greyed out in the games mode anyway so paying more is pointless unless you want 3d gaming, but obviously for sport watching it is inferior regarding motion. All lcds regardless of cost can suffer from clouding, DSE, banding and motion issues. Taking into account input lag and good motion options for sport watching the best one is the sony W9 or the Sony W8 if don't mind worser black levels. The next option is last years Panasonic ST50 plasma which has higher lag than the sonys but is better than all other tvs for lag and has good motion as standard. Obviously these are over budget. You might be able to get a 42" ST50 for £700? if there are any left and the sony W8 42" can be had for £750 with a free sony blu-ray player. Not sure if you can stretch your budget but if not the sony W6 at 42" looks your best option for a quality tv you would just have to suffer lcd blur while watching sport.
    Regards

6. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I don't think the W653 is readily available in a 42" at sub £500, not with a decent warranty anyhow (£549 from JL)

7. cricket2

cricket2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will probably purchase the sony.