1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming setup confusion

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Shoki, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Shoki

Shoki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi all, i'm in the process of looking for a new tele found these forums very interesting, spent hours reading through posts and to be honest i'v found myself just getting a little confused :confused: I dont watch alot of televison programs but do watch alot of dvd's and play ALOT of games, either on the dreamcast, ps2 or the pc, so i'm after a good lcd tv that i can have everything running through, read a few comments that the ps2 doesnt look too good on some of the latest lcd's which worries me. At this point i dont think i'm really interested in HD tv broadcasts when it goes live as like i say i really dont watch enough tv to warrant the cost, but i do intend to buy one of the next generation consoles, probably the ps3 next year so would like a tele that has a little future proofing. Can anyone reccomend an lcd that fits my needs? have around a £1000 budget so looking at a 26 or even 32 inch set. Apologies if this has been brought up many times before but cant really find a definitive answer on the ps2 and hd lcd issue, thanks in advance if anyone can help.

2. Dan_O

Dan_O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shoki,

Have a look at this thread - one of the more interesting on the topic:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254923

I was looking for a decent games/DVD LCD too, and I've just ordered myself a Toshiba 32WLT58 for about £1080. The 32WL56 is also supposed to be great. I can't comment on its PS2 performance however (not until its delivered any way!), but I'd expect them to perform as well as any other LCDs in this price range. I've heard that the new Samsungs dont like the Ps2 (with RGB input) very much however (one person reported very bad picture quality in Pro Evolution Soccer for example). Sadly all of these high resolution LCD screens will look a bit dodgy with low quality/resolution inputs, but some will be better than others.

Hope this helps...

3. Evil_Homer

Evil_Homer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shoki,

I have just bought the Samsung LE32R51BD for £980 from Currys, they were prepared to barter over the price unlike other high street retailers!!!

This is the LCD that MS chose to showcase the Xbox 360, you would think that MS wanted to put on a good show so this screen must be reasonably good, also its price is quite appealing!

I play Xbox, PS2 and PC through it. The PS2 runs through component connection and outputs good quality, the Xbox runs through its normal connection and its quite noticably worse. But I'm not about to go and buy a new cable when the Xbox 360 is released in a few weeks! Also the PC took some setting up and a bit of reading but the graphics when playing games like BF2 are stunning (I do have very powerful PC running SLi graphics though :thumbsup: ).

Anyway, I'm more than happy with it (so far) and for the price I think its a good buy. :smashin:

4. Dan_O

Dan_O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was torn between the Samsung and the Toshiba. Heard great things about both and they're both well priced (the Samsung more so - You can get a LE32R41BD for about £850). Actually owned a LE26R41B for a week, before sending it back due to defective speakers.

I generally got the vibe that the Tosh had better overall picture quality for movies etc though + I didn't want the potential hassle of sorting out the Samsung tearing problem (plus I'd already had to sent one Samsung back, so it dented my enthusiasm for them slightly). The Samsung does have PIP though, and I'll miss that (not in the Tosh). Plus the Samsung design look great.

From the sound of it, you can't go wrong with either really (so long as it works properly!)

5. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You state that you want a little future proofing. By that fact alone you need a HD ready set. If you plan on buying a next-gen console (regardless of which one) you will want a HD set because of the fact that they both Microsoft and Sony's machine will output High-def as standard and would be wasted on an SD screen. Most LCD's are HD ready now anyway. PS2 dosnt look great on anything IMHO - GameCube and Xbox look very good on my JVC.

You should be able to pick up the Samsung LE32R41BDX for under a grand and its a great set by all accounts.

6. Shoki

Shoki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks for the info gents, from what i had read on these forums i was leaning towards the samsung, went into pcworld to look at the pc system they are selling which includes this lcd, noticed they had the shortcut for farcry on the desktop but didnt get a chance to see it running, i'll have to call back in and see if they'll let me have a play. What kind of problems did you have setting up the pc on the samsung Evil Homer? I currently have a nvidia 6800 ultra in my pc which has vga, s-video and a dvi output, and to be honest have no idea which would be the best output to the samsung lcd, though glad to here BF2 looks good as thats my currents addiction :smashin:

7. Evil_Homer

Evil_Homer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 Nvidia 6600GT's running in SLI mode(DVI out). There was an issue with the resolution, but that was a simple fix. Also I currently run mine though a standard vga lead, I will get a DVI - HDMI cable, that should improve pq a bit. The best thing is that Nvidia(I don't know about ATI) have profiles for your GFX cards, so once you've configured it you can easily switch between TV and Monitor!

8. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Through VGA is breathtaking!

9. Shoki

Shoki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks again for the info, think thats me pretty much decided on the samsung, now just to decide if its the 26 or 32 inch ;)

10. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    Nice to get them to drop the price, what did you say to make them drop it? interested in this set also, was gonna get the 41 as its about £100 cheaper, but if they'll drop the price on the 51, then better still :rolleyes:

11. Evil_Homer

Evil_Homer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite simply I spent £1,500. But :smashin: ..................

The wife wanted an LCD in the bedroom, we decided on the 20" Samsung 4:3, which I have to say is quite smart. We also checked out various sound systems, like denon amp and different speakers. Then we looked at the various cinema systems that are available. Personally I could not hear the difference between £200 worth of amp and £300 worth of speakers and the £200 cinema system!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway we got the the lot for £1450. Which is a total saying of £450 off the retail price. The receipt read £980 for the 32" LCD. :clap:

The only shop that would drop on the price was Currys. Comet and Dixons would not budge on the shop floor price at all, even when we told them the deal that Currys were offering!!!!

I know that you can get these a bit cheaper on line, but I wanted the knowledge that if something went wrong I could walk up to someone and conplain like F*** that I want my money back!!!!!!!!!!