Question Gaming room (cubicle) in a shed

arachnoid

Don't really have space indoors to keep a driving simulator and flight rig set up meaning it gets used less than it would otherwise. I have a 10'x12' shed and wondering if I can 'convert' a quarter of the floor space (i.e. 5'x6') to an enclosed cubicle for gaming. Basically I'd put up a partition with internal door and add insulation to the walls and roof, along with some sort of ventilation. Has anyone done something like this? Any thoughts on how to ensure extremes of temperature (i.e. summer and winter) along with the damp from rainy weather don't adversely affect the equipment (driving seat, computers, etc.)?

Ono

I think that's a great idea.

My main concern would be damp if a wooden shed. And the spiders.

arachnoid

I think that's a great idea.

My main concern would be damp if a wooden shed. And the spiders.
Thanks. At the moment I use some of those cheap dehumidifier pots in the shed to keep moisture content down and reduce risk of corrosion on tools, etc. I'm not sure if the pots would be adequate (perhaps along with a greenhouse anti-frost heater on a thermostat).

The only remedy for insects is to keep the space clean and free of places they can set up home. When I took down the old shed I found a spider in a corner panel on the floor. I picked up a small stick to give it some gentle encouragement to relocate, but it turned toward me to defend its patch. I put it out safely as I don't like to harm them.

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
My mate done this, works really well. He insulated the walls but that was cheap and easy and mostly for winter. I would imagine it would help with sound too, both into you and you shouting at folk in games.

Personally i would carpet or rug the floor so your feet / chair feel good.

Cracking idea though, pics when done!

Also, dont forget extra sockets for coffee machine / beer fridge.

arachnoid

My mate done this, works really well. He insulated the walls but that was cheap and easy and mostly for winter. I would imagine it would help with sound too, both into you and you shouting at folk in games.

Personally i would carpet or rug the floor so your feet / chair feel good.

Cracking idea though, pics when done!

Also, dont forget extra sockets for coffee machine / beer fridge.

Yes, I'd put a carpet down, as long as it's free of damp.

Any idea what colour your mate painted his shed? I'm trying to decide what colour is the best to reflect the sun. Despite it only receiving sun later in the pm it gets very warm inside. I guess insulation would help with that too. Yes, sound proofing is needed. I'm thinking the external T&G, foil backed insulating foam, and then plywood internally (possible with a few foam baffles) will do the job.

Of course, it's just a plan at the moment and these things always take time!

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
just wood, inside and out. Looks like a shed. Inside was just that tongue and groove stuff.

I got foil backed insulation foam on my garage door, does work well and easy/cheap.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom