Question Gaming recommended field of view

RickyTip

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been looking around trying to find a recommended field of view for gaming but i cant find one.

I currently have a 60 inch Pioneer in my man cave and want to upgrade to something bigger.

Its either going to be a 75 inch or an 85 inch TV, i like the looks of the Samsung Q85 range.

I sit around 10 feet away and i play a lot of fast moving games so i wouldn't want it to make me feel queezy etc.

Does anyone else game on a 85 inch TV from 10 foot away and is it ok?

I prefer gaming on a 27 inch 4K monitor compared to my 55 inch 4K HDR TV. However if its a good single player gamer with an actual good HDR implementation, I might play it on the 55 for a bit, In general for gaming though I prefer smaller.

Have you ever tried smaller?

Last edited:
Its a personal thing, I'd be more than happy with a 85" 5 feet away, let alone 10.

There are of course various metrics you can follow if you want to be safe, but they tend to recommend a TV size too small to benefit from UHD or a distance too far away.

Thanks for the replies :)

I just wouldn't want to get into a situation where I have to move my head to take in all of the action as I imagine that this could be quite nauseating.

In my own opinion its a matter of personal choice and how you use the TV.
Some people want an at-home-cinema-experience (hey this is an AV Forum after all) and they want to sit very close to the biggest TV they can fit for sheer immersion and that cinema like experience.

On the other hand, it can be pretty odd if you are just watching TV shows like Eastenders so close, and if you are more used to the TV being an all-round family watching experience rather than one for dedicated movie/sport nights.

My own view is 10ft is more than fine for an 85". My in-laws sit about the same distance from an 85" and its fine. You don't have to move your head around to see the entire TV.

I also just purchased a 65" and sit 4-5 away, and I'd be happy having a bigger TV.

But if you are just looking for something that is more of an all round TV and less of an immersive experience you can go smaller. Smaller is probably suited better for mixed usage.

Thanks for the reply :)

This is in the man cave so 80% games, 20% movies, no tv.

Do you know what percentage FOV fills your vision?

I.e what's the biggest FOV I could go for without having to pan my head from side to side as that wouldn't work for gaming.

1606425481748.png

This is how mine looks at 5.5ft away, I'd be happy with a 75" and never feel the need to look around.

Hi Dodge, so for about 7.5/8 feet away 75“ is ok? I was about to consider 65“ but just remember that new tv‘s nowadays got slimmer frame compare to the old one...lol

still on old 50” plasma panny (must be 15/16yrs old now) with almost 12hrs a day of gaming when new for a good few years😂 and I read before that plasma lifespan was only around 5 years......still no problem with the screen😱.
been reading your guide and since I haven’t been on the forum for some time I’m truly playing catch up now.

here’s what it looks like at the minute as Ived just finished decorating and with a new to me (free from FB) tv stand. Used to have a projector over my TV when watching films but truly only on winter as it’s darker and not a dedicated room....but rest of fam wants minimal looks hence even my hifi stand I will have to sacrifice😭😭😭😅.

sorry for the hi jacked......just like everyone here trying to get a good deal also if any tomorrow.

thinking of Sony 9005 as I don’t think I can stretched to 9505 even with my daughters partners discount at JL.....originally was only thinking the 8096 until I started reading your post.....

apologise for the mess not finish sorting out the front yet as I quickly put the PS4 back and Virgin media for evening game😃.

Attachments

• F01D0FBF-F77C-4630-A97E-E88B1D19DA7E.jpeg
    F01D0FBF-F77C-4630-A97E-E88B1D19DA7E.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hi Dodge, so for about 7.5/8 feet away 75“ is ok? I was about to consider 65“ but just remember that new tv‘s nowadays got slimmer frame compare to the old one...lol
Definitely if you can afford it, but don't go bigger and downspec the TV.
thinking of Sony 9005 as I don’t think I can stretched to 9505 even with my daughters partners discount at JL.....originally was only thinking the 8096 until I started reading your post.....
I'd go with the 65" XH9505 over the 75XH9005. Only time I wouldn't is if I wasn't going to use HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom