Question Gaming PC

sanders83

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m after a gaming PC for my son’s birthday next month. I was going to buy a pre-build, but quite fancy building my own. I last built one about 20yrs ago!! I saw a similar thread on Monday, but i have a slightly higher budget.

I’ve watched a few BitWit vids and looked on PartsPicker, but it’s all a minefield to me. He has an Xbox One X, but wants a PC that will improve on that, both graphically and performance. 1440p i think? I’ve seen a few of you helpful guys putting something together on PartsPicker for others, if you can help me? A few details:

- Budget: Around £800
- Games: Fortnite & Warzone
- Cool RGB would be a nice extra
- Preferably not a massive case, as would like to move it upstairs/downstairs at times

I’ve attached this video i’ve just watched. Is that a good starter? Many thanks :)

Went a bit over the budget but here's my view:

The key for 1440p high refresh gaming will be the GPU - so the RTX 2060 Super is my choice (although the AMD 5700 is also an option). CPU really has to be the new Ryzen 3 3100. You could argue for the 3300X or even the 3600 but that eats into the budget for little gaming performance extra.

I will say though, and this is cheeky, but upping the budget to £1,000 gets you next level performance with a faster CPU/GPU and storage.

@Ono Thank you so much for this, very much appreciated.

i went with £800 initially, as i also need to buy him a monitor, which i could also do with a recommendation with. Saying that, i don’t mind going over the budget for the right one, especially if it’s something i can update as time goes on.

With regards to 1440p, is this what i’d need to get the most out of playing those games mentioned? And something that would be a big upgrade over what the Xbox One X outputs?

@Ono Hi. The GPU (RTX 2060) and CPU (Ryzen 3 3100) that you recommended, are different to what you have in the Partspicker link. Apologies if i’ve read the info wrong, just confused now...haha.

@Ono T
With regards to 1440p, is this what i’d need to get the most out of playing those games mentioned? And something that would be a big upgrade over what the Xbox One X outputs?
To be honest, if the aim is to play Fortnite and COD Warzone he is better off with the Xbox One X and playing it at 4k on a TV.

Joining the PC Master Race will get him (with a decent PC) the best versions of games in terms of graphic resolution, framerate and detail - playable on monitors from 1080p to ultrawide 1440p to 4k at super high refresh rates like a pro-gamer - but you have to want to sit in front of a PC with a mouse and keyboard gaming.

I would also say that the game variety is greater on PC and games are generally cheaper. I also like that I can do things like record and stream games easily while gaming.

My kids all game on PC and the consoles are all left gathering dust.

@Ono Hi. The GPU (RTX 2060) and CPU (Ryzen 3 3100) that you recommended, are different to what you have in the Partspicker link. Apologies if i’ve read the info wrong, just confused now...haha.
I have 2 lists.

The RTX 2060 Super and Ryzen 3100 are in the first system posted.

@Ono Got it now, only caught the one link initially, thank you.

He wants to get into PC gaming. He’s already using a mechanical keyboard on his Xbox (HxperX Alloy Origin) and a HyperX mouse, and he’s taken to those extremely well. Also likes the option to use his controller, both on the Xbox and the PC when he gets it.

Definitely wants to go down the route of higher framerates and graphical detail, which was his main reason to get one. Streaming is another thing he eventually wants to try. I’ve given him the option of the new Xbox when it’s released later this year, but his heart is set on getting into the PC.

If you are looking at a higher refresh monitor (120hz for example) then I would spend a bit more on the GPU. The RTX 2060 super will not push to that level on on ultra settings (though most pro gamers will run on lower settings for higher FPS)

@Ono Got it now, only caught the one link initially, thank you.

He wants to get into PC gaming. He’s already using a mechanical keyboard on his Xbox (HxperX Alloy Origin) and a HyperX mouse, and he’s taken to those extremely well. Also likes the option to use his controller, both on the Xbox and the PC when he gets it.

Definitely wants to go down the route of higher framerates and graphical detail, which was his main reason to get one. Streaming is another thing he eventually wants to try. I’ve given him the option of the new Xbox when it’s released later this year, but his heart is set on getting into the PC.
Treat him and get the second system I recommended - 3300X and 5700XT system. That will run 1440p at over 100fps for most games including the specified shooters.

The 5700XT will last for quite a few years and, given gaming is less cpu bound, the 3300X will also.

If it means anything, I love PC gaming. It is so much better than console and I can also do photo/video editing and spreadsheets. :D

@Ono @Delvey Thank you both for your replies, very helpful. Sounds like option 2 would be ideal.

Another question on this: @Delvey mentions that the pro gamers run lower settings for high FPS. It’s these gamers, and streamers, that have influenced him (the likes of Ninja, Jared, SypherPK etc), thus resulting in him going the PC route.

Would the first option from @Ono cover this lower setting/high FPS, meaning option 2 being overkill for his wants? Or is option 2 the way better option overall? Apologies, i’m not too clued-up on settings these days.

If possible, could you recommend a decent monitor as well for the setup? 25” seems to be a decent size, from what i’ve Been reading. Though i’m happy to be told otherwise.

I know they watch the streamers etc but until he becomes a pro-gamer or a competitive gamer, he will not notice the difference with a high refresh monitor. My eldest is Global Elite (top 0.7% globally) on CS:GO and plays competitively for his University but has a bog standard 60Hz monitor. I would look for a 75Hz to 90Hz monitor though as they are the norm these days.

Having said that, if you want to splash £350 for a 1440p 144Hz one look here:

I would definitely go for the 2nd system if you can as the GPU is a cut above.

@Ono @Delvey Thank you both for your replies, very helpful. Sounds like option 2 would be ideal.

Another question on this: @Delvey mentions that the pro gamers run lower settings for high FPS. It’s these gamers, and streamers, that have influenced him (the likes of Ninja, Jared, SypherPK etc), thus resulting in him going the PC route.

Would the first option from @Ono cover this lower setting/high FPS, meaning option 2 being overkill for his wants? Or is option 2 the way better option overall? Apologies, i’m not too clued-up on settings these days.

If possible, could you recommend a decent monitor as well for the setup? 25” seems to be a decent size, from what i’ve Been reading. Though i’m happy to be told otherwise.
It is a tough one. I play on a 144hz monitor and anything below 100hz you can tell the difference I feel. So on multiplayer games (Like pubg) I aim to hit 144hz.
At the moment my PC is hooked up to my 4K TV mainly playing the divisions 2 and rocket league and obviously have to lower the settings but because it is in 4K with HDR it looks better (again, my own opinion) than at 1080p with ultra.

I play on 1440p Ultrawide @ 100Hz monitor (GSync) - only really notice when games go below 75 FPS or so. I think the last one was Red Dead Redemption 2 which was poorly optimised.

Playing competitve shooters like CSGO and Valorant - FPS is 300+ but obviously capped at 100 FPS and all is fine and dandy.

@Ono @Delvey Thank again, both.

I think i’m going to go for second system, so that’s that sorted. It’s the monitor part i’m now not sure about.

To take advantage of the system, i’d need that 1440p 144hz monitor, and anything lower i wouldn’t get the full benefits? Or i go with a 4k TV? I’m guessing either, with that second system, would be a good improvement or the Xbox One X?

No. You do not need a 144Hz monitor. A 75Hz+ will do for a starter monitor but it really depends on your budget!

For reference - a decent 144hz/1440p will cost you close to £400-500 (half you PC budget!).

The second system will outperform your XBox One X easily both in frames per sec and quality at all resolutions. Generally, XBox One X is equivalent to MEDIUM settings on PC for textures.

Thanks @Ono . Don’t want to pay £400/500 for a monitor, on top of the PC. I’ll have a watch of the vid and look through my options.

Would i need to buy any extras for second system? Such as extra fans? My son wants lighting, so i’m sure that’s easy enough to sort.

Thanks @Ono . Don’t want to pay £400/500 for a monitor, on top of the PC. I’ll have a watch of the vid and look through my options.

I really don't blame you. As I said, my eldest is a competitive gamer yet I just bought him a bog standard monitor with 60-75Hz and he doesn't complain. Focus on the PC and get a normal 1440p monitor.

Would i need to buy any extras for second system? Such as extra fans? My son wants lighting, so i’m sure that’s easy enough to sort.
Not sure if the case comes with RGB case fans. You may have to replace them - but they are cheap at £20 or so for 3 I think.

You will need a copy of Win 10 - cheap from Ebay.

I have just recently got my first gaming PC and I have that Powercolor Radeon 5700XT GPU in my build and it's a fantastic card and getting very good performance on Warzone at 1440p think I've been averaging about 89FPS (MSI afterburner say's it's dipping from anywhere from 70-120) with about 89 average I think I was getting last night) having moved over from Xbox one the difference is quite noticeable, i'm using a freesync 144hz monitor with mine if that helps. I've got mine paired with an AMD 3600

@Ono Been spending some time this week looking through the second system you recommended, plus trying to get up-to-speed with the current PC knowledge. Lost mine years ago!! Have a few more questions if you don’t mind taking a look, please?

- Would the 3600 be a worthwhile upgrade over the 3300X

- If so, would i need a different motherboard etc?

- Is it worth swapping the lower capacity SSD for a normal 1 or 2tb harddrive? Just thinking about him streaming and saving clips.

- Not sure on prices yet, but the B550 looks imminent. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade?

- Also with the PSU, would a 750w be better for this?

I know all this increases the budget a little, but i’d do it if it’s a good upgrade.

@Aaron D84 Thinking about the 3600 now, after reading up on it. It’s not a massive price increase over the 3300X. Looked at the 3600X as well, but that’s going too far, price-wise.

Thanks for the info, going to look at monitors tonight.

• For gaming the 3300X is on par on most games with the 3600 (see below)
  • I would always go for a large SSD as it makes a huge difference to loading times of games. HDDs are obsolete imho for decent PC rigs now except for storage of files. A 7200rpm HDD is pretty cheap to add in the future or even an external USB one.
  • B550 boards - again, why? I have a B450 and it does everything I need.
  • 750W is overkill unless you fancy getting something like a 2080 Ti card in the future!

Here is a video of the 3300X vs 3600:

Price was my main reason. I will also say, in reality, will anyone actually buy Gen4 and/or notice the difference unless you are doing lots of editing?

Price was my main reason. I will also say, in reality, will anyone actually buy Gen4 and/or notice the difference unless you are doing lots of editing?
Perhaps now they might not but at least its there for the future.

That goes into the usual trade off decisions:
  • Price/Performance
  • Price for now / Price for future upgrade
  • Buy now /Wait for next big thing
  • RGB / No RGB
  • Gaming / All Rounder
For me, my last 3 PCs, I never once bothered upgrading a component in a build. As GPU and CPU performance improvements meant it is just easier to get a brand new mobo etc. Each PC has on average lasted me 4 years of very decent gaming levels.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom