Gaming PC Spec

fortknoxcj

These are the choices:-
C8855214-3F4A-4B57-A4B1-5A5881E23527.png

Delvey

Distinguished Member

fortknoxcj

Yes this is the deal we went for in the end. Although I’ve upgraded the Ram, case and power supply and negotiated some extra discount and free bits.

rb5201

Think that's what I got this week. Ordered late Tuesday, arrived Thursday. I also got a monitor keyboard and mouse as part of the bundle.

eaglemmoomin

Yes this is the deal we went for in the end. Although I’ve upgraded the Ram, case and power supply and negotiated some extra discount and free bits.
Nice that should more than good enough for Fortnite etc for the time being.

Delvey

Distinguished Member

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I'm looking for a monitor that would be a good match for a Ryzen 5 3600x / rtx 3070 based system , can anyone recommend one , guessing 1440p would be best? Think 27" would be fine. It's taking some getting my head round going down to a 27" screen that's probably going to be very mediocre for HDR after gaming on a console on a 77" oled that's for sure...

anlygi

I'm looking for a monitor that would be a good match for a Ryzen 5 3600x / rtx 3070 based system , can anyone recommend one , guessing 1440p would be best? Think 27" would be fine. It's taking some getting my head round going down to a 27" screen that's probably going to be very mediocre for HDR after gaming on a console on a 77" oled that's for sure...

I can certainly recommend what I have, LG 27GL850, and it's a good price at the moment from OCUK (£340 + delivery, seen it on HUKD), though not as cheap as the £335 my wife paid from Currys in December. I did my homework when putting together my 3070 system and it seemed to be widely regarded as one of the best 16:9, 27" 1440p monitors around. You'd think going down from a large TV would be a massive compromise, but when it's around 2' from your face it's large enough and certainly not mediocre.

I can get 144 FPS maxed out in many games, such as F1 2020, Cold War about 137 with RT off. Obviously games like Cyberpunk and FS2020, well you could get away with a 60hz display!

I was originally looking at ultrawides like above, but decided I didn't want the performance impact of driving the extra pixels.

eaglemmoomin

I suspect the DPI on a 1440p 27inch monitor will be far far 'better' than that massive tv.

109 PPI for the 27
Less than 60 for the 4K TV.

That PPI matters because you're a lot closer to the screen.

A 4K 32inch is probably a good shout. If you could swap the 3070 for a 3080/3090/6800XT/6900XT.

eaglemmoomin

Reviews seem good but I'd go for 1440p at that size. Also no need for 240hz IMO

His son wants to be a high refresh gamer he won't be happy unless his monitor has a high refresh rate even if the current GPU in the machine will struggle to hit 240Hz for 'big' AAA games with settings whacked up. (120 to 135 FPS should be possible though for quite a few) Besides later a faster GPU like a 3060TI/5700XT could go in.

Last edited:

Delvey

Distinguished Member
The GPU is

His son wants to be a high refresh gamer he won't be happy unless his monitor has a high refresh rate even if the current GPU in the machine will struggle to hit 240Hz for 'big' AAA games with settings whacked up. (120 to 135 FPS should be possible though for quite a few) Besides later a faster GPU like a 3060TI/5700XT could go in.
Even with a 3060ti you aren't going to be hitting 240hz. I'd go for a higher resolution monitor anyway.

eaglemmoomin

Even with a 3060ti you aren't going to be hitting 240hz. I'd go for a higher resolution monitor anyway.
Yeah but that's not what ops kid wants. A 1440p 240Hz monitor is definitely out GPU wise. At least at some point that 1080p 240Hz monitor will be feasible for high FPS and some sort of 60/70 series card.

Also the 2060 in there right now is a decent 1440p card but for higher fps it's going to be a lot happier at 1080p. Assuming the Nvidia driver tax does'nt kick in.

Delvey

Distinguished Member

eaglemmoomin

I wouldn't bet against it Mesh shading, AI accelerated upscaling/reconstruction are all going help performance.

fortknoxcj

I missed these last few comments, its majority fortnite with a bit of rocket league he is playing, so he should be able to utilise 240hz on 1080p quite easily.

240hz 1440 isn't an option due to price. so 1080 240Hz is going to make it most competitive i believe.

Its basically between the Lenovo Y25 (IPS) or the AOC C27G2ZU (VA)

Delvey

Distinguished Member
1080 240Hz is going to make it most competitive i believe.
Practice will make then competitive.
Personally I wouldn't spend extra money just to get a 240hz monitor. Most on here will agree once you hit 100hz+ you won't notice a difference visual. As for shooters, getting a monitor that has a faster grey to grey time will be better than a higher refresh rate (and a higher refresh rate needs a quicker G2G time)

rb5201

Little bump to see how your son is getting on with this as I think we got the same set up in the end.
I upgraded the mouse after a week, I wish they had offered me a proper gaming mouse with the side buttons, keyboard Will also need upgrading but like you've already said I'll be after a higher hz monitor next. Current one which was supplied isn't great, and had a washed out colour.

With a few settings turned down fortnite has been running at around 300fps so should benefit from better monitor.

Learning how to mod games for him has been my biggest challenge so far! Still haven't been able to mod td6.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom